This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m sharing about a fun sneak peak menu tasting I got to be a part of, making sandwiches for dinner and telling you about a super fun game night and an adult game-night game you must try!
I so appreciate you guys reading, following along and interacting with my blog, social pages and newsletter. I wanted to let you know that we now have a fun new feature – a star rating feature! The star rating on recipes helps with them showing up in a Google search. For example, if you search for ‘ground turkey recipes’ and there are enough ratings on my Asian ground turkey and rice bowls, then it will help the recipe show up in the search results. If you make a SweetPhi recipe, I would love it if you gave it a star rating!
As always, it’s been another super busy week. I got to do something super fun and get a sneak peak at the new Miller Park restaurant. Read more about that a bit later in the newsletter.
New on the Blog:
- 5 ingredient chicken gnocchi with Alfredo pesto
- 5 occasions to give a cookbook as a gift for
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers
What to Make:
This week, we’re talking bread and sandwiches. Sometimes that’s the best I can do when the weeks get so busy.
One night, we didn’t have any bread in the house. It was 8pm and I knew I wanted eggs and miso butter in the morning, so I made my whole wheat honey oat flax bread. It was so so good, but man, I forget how long that bread takes to make (I didn’t do the second rise and it was a little dense, still good though). It was a busy week, as usual, so we used the bread to eat a lot of sandwiches for meals! Below are a few that we ate and a few more of my faves:
- A DIY sandwich bar
- Ham and Swiss with maple mustard mayo
- Ricotta pear honey toast
- Vegetarian Sandwich
- Egg salad sandwich with bacon
This comment is so important to me because I try my best to re-create delicious flavors I’ve eaten when I travel! This comment is for one of my favorite dishes; the whole bowl with Tali sauce.
- “You nailed this recipe! I live in Portland and often walk to the NW Whole Bowl food cart at lunchtime. The combo of tali sauce, salsa, and sour cream is magical. You really dialed it in! Thank you so much for taking the time to figure out this one.”
This week’s reader re-creation is not actually a recipe, but instead, for a super sweet reader who mentioned loving my Five Ingredient Recipe Cookbook. Check out her beautiful photo below:
As always, anytime you make one of my recipes, be sure to tag PhiliaKelnhofer on instagram or send me a note!
Things I’m Loving:
- Scalp exfoliating shampoo – I know I mentioned this a few years ago, but this shampoo is so amazing. I use it once a week or once every two weeks so it lasts a while. It’s a grey color (because of the charcoal) and has a sweet clean minty smell (it kind of reminds me of a white chocolate peppermint mocha). It leaves your scalp feeling amazing
- This game was one we played for game night and it was hilarious, and so fun (we were laughing so hard at parts we were crying-and my beautiful pregnant friend Svetlana was especially dying at the moons high-fiving, no idea what the actual word was, it was just such a cute picture.)
What I’m reading
- Currently reading The Wife Between Us – and I only wish there were more hours in the day to get to the end of it because it’s such a good story, there was already a major twist I didn’t see coming about 1/3 way into the book. I only have about 1/3 left and I need to know what happens!!
What I’m watching:
- Oh my goodness I keep hearing about the show Love Is Blind on Netflix. I NEED to watch it!!! here’s the synopsis:‘Nick and Vanessa Lachey host this social experiment where single men and women look for love and get engaged, all before meeting the person.’ … After that period of time, each man can propose to the woman he’d like to marry – despite having never met (yikes).” HAVE YOU SEEN IT?
- We went to a kids birthday party, it had a theme and favors and all. It was wonderful. The next day Ben started talking about his birthday and I asked what kind of birthday party he wanted, he said ‘Mikey Mouse’ he also said ‘dinosaur and train’ so who knows.
- We looked at some pictures of Mikey mouse cakes on my phone, LOL, these were his favorites (definitely more elaborate than our wedding cake!) I laughed and said ‘too tall’ and now when he sees a big cake he laughs and says too tall.
- This was his birthday cake last year. It’s more my speed – a sheet pan cake with one of his toys on top of it…and that’s what I’m 100% sure is going to happen this year too.
- Girls night idea – go got fondue at The Melting Pot. We were going to go mini duckpin bowling, but all the lanes were booked, so we decided to go get fondue. It was SO MUCH FUN and such an experience. You can have fondue at home with my super simple recipe for 5 ingredient microwave fondue.
- I had to finish a project at work so Ben got to come see my office. It’s a little bit different than my home office when he gets to bring in his toys, lol.
- This past weekend I took Ben to the zoo and met his cousin and my sister in law there. It seemed like everybody had the same idea because oh my goodness was it packed, but fun as always.
- The twins turned 8 months old!!!!
- Nick and I got to go to such a fun event: a menu preview at the Restaurant To Be Named Later at Miller Park. The food is Wisconsin inspired and the cocktails were delicious. I surprisingly knew a bunch of people there – how fun! If you want to know more about the name of the restaurant, Nick explained it was a play on a baseball term.
- This past week was Dr. Seuss week – Ben went to a library Dr. Seuss birthday party with his aunt. He wore his hat that he got at school and loved hearing a Dr. Seuss story. We read stories at home too.
- Freddie was sick all weekend, so we spent a lot of quality time late at night together!
- I’ve mentioned this before, but Ben loves reading cookbooks. For Valentine’s Day, I got Nick the ‘Binging with Babbish‘ cookbook and told him I’d make him any recipe out of it. He’s still working on deciding what one thing I’ll make and Ben is helping!
- When I leave Ben at school, it’s so cute, he stands by the window and waves goodbye to me!
Popular this week (and lol poor Freddie):
I’ve started to share the most popular items from the previous week! I love seeing what is resonating with my readers and I hope you enjoy this little peak inside what others are loving to!
- Most visited blog post
- Most liked Instagram post
- Most pinned Pinned image
- Most viewed YouTube video
- Most Purchased item
What great books are you reading? Any recommendations? Just leave a comment below and let me know.