This ham and swiss sandwich with maple mustard mayo couldn’t be more simple to make and is perfect for a quick dinner or lunch to grab on the go. It’s a filling sandwich that is truly craveable.
One of the things you’re told not to eat during pregnancy is deli meat, unless it’s microwaved (which, less face it, sounds not so great). There are so many rules! Here’s the funny thing – take a peak at my post for my vegetarian sandwich. Read closely. It turns out, when I was pregnant with Ben, I couldn’t stand lunch meat! And even though I’m not a huge sandwich person, right now, with this twins pregnancy, I am craving all the sandwiches.
Ham and swiss sandwiches in particular. I know I broke some rule, but I legit had a craving for a ham and swiss sandwich so I got one from Panera. The sandwich was soooo good!
What made a plain ham and swiss cheese sandwich so memorable? The sauce/spread! I read the menu and found out that there was a maple mustard mayo spread on it. So clearly I had to recreate this sandwich at home (it was surprisingly easy to do and it’s such a quick and easy lunch or dinner!)
My recipe makes enough for two sandwiches, but that of course, depends on how much spread you love on your sandwiches. I personally love a lot!
All you need to make this tasty maple mustard spread/sauce? Three ingredients:
- whole seed grain mustard
- real maple syrup
It’s as easy as that. When I make simple sandwiches, I also like to use a grainy bread. I think it adds a little touch of extra flavor and it is better for you as well.
Some days, I just don’t want to cook when I get home from a long day. All you need to do for these sandwiches can be summed up in a few simple steps.
- Whip up your maple mustard mayo spread
- Select your bread of choice and smother on the mayo mixture
- Add ham (thinly sliced)
- Stack up your sandwich with Swiss cheese, green leaf lettuce and red onion
Once you taste this sandwich you’ll quickly see that not every recipe requires you to slave over the stove in the kitchen for hours on end. Even the easiest recipes can be tasty and impressive. And if you’re having a party, you can always adapt this recipe into a fun appetizer or bite size sandwich bite.
I can’t wait to see what you do with the recipe!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
Ham & Swiss Sandwich with Maple Mustard Mayo
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- Green leaf lettuce
- Red onion to taste
- 4-6 oz. thinly sliced deli ham 2-3 oz. per sandwich
- 2 slices Swiss cheese one slice per sandwich
- For sauce:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise reduced fat
- 1 tablespoon whole seed grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon real maple syrup
- Combine sauce ingredients.
- Spread sauce evenly between two pieces of bread.
- Top spread with lettuce, onion slices, ham, and swiss cheese. Top each sandwich with remaining piece of bread and enjoy!