This week on Catching Up With The Kelnhofers – a family trip to the zoo (all 5 of us!) last snuggles before everyone goes back to school/daycare/work full time and my favorite planner – read more below!
This past weekend we went on a family outing to to the zoo. All 5 of us plus aunty Nina and she took this family picture that I am getting framed for sure (it’s definitely harder these days to get everyone in the picture, I’m sure it will only get harder as they grow older and are mobile.) Anyway, we passed a new exhibit and my husband turned to me in horror and said “why would they name the exhibit at the zoo “Animal Heaven” ? That’s horrible.” I made a note and took a quick picture because it was so bad and funny at the same time. I went back and looked at my photos…it’s actually called “Animal Haven” … ooops, guess we’re a little sleep deprived LOL.
On another note – I love the zoo, we took Ben there when he was a baby and I shared about it as part of my Guide for what to do in Wauwatosa with a baby.
New on the Blog:
- More Catching up with the Kelnhofers
- Finishing up summer with a zucchini roundup
- Easy chocolate birthday cake with frosting recipe – last year, I made the banana snack cake with greek yogurt frosting for Ben’s birthday and this year, I made him a chocolate cake with dinosaurs on top. The cake was amazing and got eaten right up! Also this is the dinosaur toy set I got him that he plays with all the time – it came with a book too.
What to make this week:
We’re cooking with zucchinis! In Wisconsin, zucchini is especially abundant in gardens everywhere toward the end of summer, so here are a few go-to recipes:
- Balsamic grilled vegetables – A summer fave that I can’t get enough of!
- Skinny turkey burgers on bagel thins – a fave recipe for weeknight dinner
- Zucchini banana nutella swirl loaf – I love this for breakfast, dessert or a quick snack
This quick healthy breakfast cookie is gluten free and vegan and perfect for snacking
- “Just made these for the week to have as an “I’m starving but lunch is 2 hours away” snack at work. They were so quick and easy to make and made my kitchen smell amazing! They are so good, I honestly didn’t think they would come out as flavorful as they did! Love them and thank you so much for the recipe.”
Things I’m loving this week:
- We went to the zoo – Ben’s favorite part? The elephant poop display, showing how much elephants poop a day lol…hint…it’s a lot! It only took us about an hour to leave the house lol. First one twin had a diaper that needed attention, then the other needed an outfit change, then the 2 year old didn’t want to wear clothes lol.
- I’m pretty happy with how my fridge is organized lately, got a few little bins from Target (they’re surprisingly expensive at $10 per bin) but I saw a crazy organized fridge – and decided that was nuts, but wanted a little improvement and am very happy with the results! As you can see, one of the things I have in my fridge is a few Home Chef meals to make from meal delivery, total dinner saver some nights! Anyway – I am really loving the organization bins for the fridge, I’ve had them in 3 weeks now and they help me see what we have and I have a round one that turns like a lazy susan and it’s amazing.
- Dry Hard is what I’m currently reading/listening too (I listen to audiobooks). Usually the narrators of this authors books are amazing and so spot on with their British accents and make me feel like the characters are portrayed accurately, but with this book, it seems like the woman narrator is whispering, or has been for the first half of the book. It has gotten a little better towards the middle, but I keep asking myself – why is the narrator whispering? Odd, i keep having to turn the volume up lol!
- I started watching Succession on HBO – I do not like this show, the people/characters are just all horrible awful people and there’s not one character that I want to cheer for or get behind, they just all kind of suck, so I’m not going to watch it anymore. Nick and I are still watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix and that show is so good, it makes me laugh, it’s cute and positive, much more my speed
- My favorite planner came out with its 2020 version and I’m happy to report it’s as amazing as ever. I’ve purchased the same planner for the past 3-4 years now, and it’s my absolute favorite one (I’ve literally gone through 10 or more planners trying to find the perfect one.) I’m a pen and paper girl, I love seeing the moth ahead of time and having a spot to write in daily to dos, and this planner has both those – oh, and there’s a pocket at the back where I keep things (like postage stamps or bills or whatever important things I need to take care of.) Here is a link to the best planner ever!
- The twins turned TWO MONTHS old already!
- This was my last week working part time at work-work (I help run a natural products company called True Botanica) in addition to having the blog business (which is everything to do with running www.sweetphi.com) and being home with the kiddos. I’m now going back full time, so I’ve been enjoying all the snuggles and time with the kiddos.
- Nick said I should call and see if the spa had an appointment because my back was hurting – they had an 8pm opening!! So I had a last minute massage after the babies went to sleep at Neroli and it was the best thing ever. It’s one of my favorite things to do in Milwaukee.
- I loved hearing how so many of you love circus peanuts and your Costco faves, I’m putting together a list and will create a post because all the responses were amazing!
Any ‘back to school or work’ stories you want to share with me? I need some positive thoughts here! Just leave a comment below and let me know!
Until next week,