This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m sharing one toy that everyone needs to buy (pssst it’s super affordable!) and a few recipes that will be great for Memorial Day weekend!
What a week it’s been over here, we found out that I’m having a baby boy!! Wow, 3 boys and a girl…Frankie will continue to be the little princess ruling the roost.
If you didn’t get a chance to read the pregnancy story – here is a link to it.
Because I’m over 35, it’s considered a geriatric pregnancy (ha! but no joke) and because of that, one has to get some genetic testing done. At the appointment alone I started crying, because I have friends who have experienced the devastating results and it’s really heartbreaking when they’re discussing different terminal chromosomal anomalies that can occur.
I’m thankful and grateful that everything came back ok, and with the testing, they were able to tell me the sex of the baby if we wanted to know. Wow – another boy on the way. I cannot believe it.
This weekend is Memorial Day! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and that we keep all those men and women who have lost their lives in the military in our hearts.
Sharing the latest posts up on Sweetphi.com!
- Grilled corn with parmesan – only 5 ingredients and a great summer side dish
- Weekly meal plan – complete with a grocery list!
- What’s in my Amazon cart – I always get asked where I am buying things I’m using everyday, so here is a quick roundup.
- Red, white and blue dump cake – perfect for Memorial Day or any time you’re looking for a super easy and delicious dessert.
- Love List – the team’s favorite finds from around the web!
- Burger seasoning – keep this recipe on hand all summer long and you won’t regret it.
- I’ve been making smoothies a lot! I really like the Vitamin C boost (orange, pineapple, mango) and Ben has been saying we’ll take turns drinking…then ends up drinking the whole thing, lol.
- The big story is that our big blender’s motor burned!! I have had it for a good 8-10 years, and since we use it almost daily, I figured it was time to replace it with a really good, high powered blender. So I splurged and we got a Vitamix!!
- Currently we use this little single serve blender which we’ve actually had for quite a few years, but it’s not a high powered blender. I’m excited.
- This has inspired me to make more smoothies and salads (just like when I did a summer of smoothies and salads with shopping lists)
What to make:
- This Nutty Buddy Freezer Peanut Butter pie and this Lemonade Pie have both been requested! Warm summer days and cool desserts go really well together!
Love these sour cherry muffins and this great tip from one of my readers:
- “Used frozen cherries and knew they were very juicy (from past experience) so just left out the 1/4 cup water. Sprinkled sliced almond on top then the sugar. Turned out perfect!”
If you’ve been around for awhile, you know how much I absolutely love these balsamic grilled vegetables and make them on repeat all summer long. It’s always great to see my readers making some of my favorite recipes too!
- My car – oof, I don’t even want to think about how many crumbs and how messy it gets. Enter…THIS cordless vacuum!!!
- I’m not going to lie, I’m really having trouble getting into Shipped by Angie Hockman.
- I heard Love Lettering and Just Last Night were really good, so I might abandon Shipped and move on to one of those.
- Have you read any good books lately?
Cookbook of the week:
- I’m so excited to be diving into The Book on Pie! It has so many recipes I can’t wait to make all summer long.
- Baptism and sensory toy – we went to my nephews baptism, and I got the kids these sensory toy/push pop things from Amazon – a 3 pack for $13! I had heard from another mom they kept kids quiet in church, and oh my goodness, they worked. EACH of the kids LOVED these and played with them nicely!
- When the Baptism was done, Ben walked up to the priest and asked if he could ask him a question, the priest said “yes, of course”. Ben said “Why are you dressed like a ninja?” LOL it was too cute.
- Potion buckets – we have fun playing outside – the kids make ‘potion buckets’ where they just put a bunch of “stuff” in buckets and all stir. Yes, it makes for messy kids, but they seem to like it.
- Movie night – sometimes a good movie night is just wonderful. We watched Tangled and they laughed most at the horse.
- Visiting dad – the twins barged into Nicks office for a visit, lol.
- Warning for potting soil – I got some super organic potting soil. I used it when I propagated my Monstera plant. Well, it’s been a few months now and it started growing some little weeds, so I just picked them with my bare hands. BIG MISTAKE! As soon as I touched them as was bringing them over to the trash can, my hands started stinging and there were little red spots with white dots where the plants/weeds had touched my fingers. After some googling I identified them as stinging nettles!!! Apparently when you brush against the leaves, there are little yellow hairs that pierce your skin like needles. Lesson learned! So be careful – wear gardening gloves.
- Please do yourself a favor and make burgers with this seasoning this weekend!!
- The sensory toy/push pop things I mentioned? Those would be a great thing to keep on hand for quick kids gifts to go along with a gift card. I’m thinking I might just give those for all birthday/holiday gifts from now on. They’re even fun for adults.
What are your Memorial Day plans? I’d love to know! Just leave a comment below and let me know.