Is there anything better than a delicious warm breakfast or brunch on the weekends? I think not! This weeks Five Ingredient Friday recipe is for 5 Ingredient French Toast Casserole.
It is a very comforting dish with the perfect amount of soft insides that French Toast is so famous for, yet also has the crunchy sugar outsides the casserole gets from being baked.
This casserole is super easy to put together and perfect for when guests spend the night and you want to spend time with them in the morning instead of being in the kitchen…trust me, they’ll love you for making this dish!
When preparing for this post I did a little research on the history of French Toast (because I’m cool like that) and was fascinated to find that French Toast is also referred to as ‘gypsy toast’ and that all the way back in the 14th century there was a German recipe called ‘arme ritter’ which means ‘poor knight.’
Well, if this is an old peasant recipe, color me a peasant!
The funny thing is that I normally don’t like French Toast in it’s plain form (stale bread soaked in eggs and cream) because it is just all around soggy, but in this casserole, the textures and flavors with the hints of cinnamon and raisins from the bread and crunchy sugar topping all come together creating breakfast perfection!
This recipe was so popular, my publisher requested it be put in my cookbook Fast and Easy Five-Ingredient Recipes: A Cookbook for Busy People, I hope you enjoy the recipe:
- 1. 1 Loaf Raisin Cinnamon Swirl Bread I used Peppridge Farm brand, but any cinnamon swirl bread would work
- 2. 5 Eggs
- 3. 1 Cup Skim Milk or any milk you have on hand
- 4. 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 5. 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- Preheat oven to 370, spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together milk and eggs. Cut the loaf of bread into chunks (I simply took a large knife and cut the entire loaf into 6ths).
- Put the bread pieces into the baking dish and pour the egg and milk mixture over the bread. Sprinkle the sugars on top of the egg mixture covered bread.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and then serve.