Making and sharing a recipe that’s been in the family for years is one of our favorite things to do. This recipe for 5 ingredient stuffed mushrooms with stuffing has been in Phi’s family for years, so we’re excited to share it. Her family has been making these for the holidays for as long as she can remember. Stuffed mushrooms with stuffing are an easy holiday appetizer or vegetable side dish everyone will love.
When recently making this, the kitchen filled with the delicious smell that I remember so fondly from childhood and I couldn’t help but smile!
To some people, the texture of mushrooms can be off-putting. I know plenty of people that like the taste, but don’t appreciate the assumption that mushrooms are slimy. Well, this recipe has been tested with one of those people and we can safely confirm that there is no odd texture! The stuffed mushrooms with stuffing have just the right mixture of textures where, when combined, it makes the perfect bite.
We feel like people only think to use stuffing around Thanksgiving, but we love using stuffing year round to help create rich, comforting dishes, like this 5 ingredient slow cooker chicken and stuffing recipe. Stuffing has such great flavor that it kicks any dish up a notch.
Depending on the size of your mushrooms, you may end up with a little extra leftover stuffing mixture. You can simply enjoy it on the side or stuff those mushrooms extra full!
When we’re hosting parties, it’s always a nice touch to be thoughtful about the food. You don’t want to serve something that’s going to be too hard for people eat, you want little bite size things. So, for parties, these mushrooms are obviously on my list of “pop them in your mouth” approved apps. A couple of my other favorites are:
Once you’ve cooked these 5 ingredient stuffed mushrooms with stuffing, you will end up with a crispy, buttery- stuffed mushroom that you could easily eat 10 of, they make an amazing easy 5 ingredient appetizer or vegetable side dish!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Balsamic Mushrooms over Arugula and Cheesy Polenta
- Easy Mushroom Gravy
- Sausage Puff Pastry Appetizer Recipe
5 Ingredient Stuffed Mushrooms with Stuffing
- 16 oz baby Bella whole mushrooms or could do white mushrooms
- 1-2 stalks celery chopped finely to go into stuffing
- 6 oz boxed stuffing I used Stove Top brand, any brand will do
- 3/4 stick butter (6 tablespoons), divided (1/2 stick butter for stuffing and 1/4 for using in the mushrooms)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat over to 350
- Clean mushrooms - wash and remove stems. Save stems to chop up and add into stuffing mixture (optional)
- Prepare stuffing, according to instructions on box. Instead of cooking water and butter, cook celery and butter together first. Add mushroom stems (if using) into butter and celery mixture, then add the water and stuffing and prepare like the box says.
- Set cleaned mushrooms in baking dish. Dab a dollop of butter in the bottom of each mushroom and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Add stuffing mixture on top of butter and use a spoon to press about a tablespoon of stuffing into the mushroom cap.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until stuffing begins to brown a little and mushrooms are starting to get tender. Remove from oven and serve.
Kimberly Renna says
These were delicious! Everyone loved them!
YAY, so happy to hear this, thanks for coming back and leaving the feedback, I truly appreciate it!!
Mary W says
I am making these for a holiday potluck. I plan to prepare a double recipe the day before and bake right before I leave. I know I will not be bringing home any leftovers!
That’s such a great idea! I love these so much and hope everyone at your potluck does too!