This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, we did a lot of fun holiday baking and projects, Ben is carrying something new on our walks and I’m sharing a ton of new recipes from the blog.
We did holiday baking with kids – with all three of them in the kitchen at the same time! One of the best purchases we ever made was this kitchen helper stool. Without it, no baking would have been done.
It was actually very fun, and got me even more excited for the holidays! So, happy baking!!
We made my recipe for freezer chocolate chip cookies because we were going to make the dough ahead and freeze it, and we replaced ½ cup flour with cocoa powder and 1 cup of the chocolate chips with mini marshmallows – definitely recommend! They were chocolate chocolate chip marshmallow cookies.
New on the blog:
- 5 ingredient Air Fryer beef tenderloin roast – you’ll never want to cook beef in another way after trying it in an Air Fryer!
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers – a family update from last week
- Holiday drink roundup – both cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks for you and your family to enjoy!
- 5 ingredient loaded tater tots – some updates to an old classic!
- Chocolate dulce de leche caramel turtle cake – a decadent and delicious dessert that’s perfect for a special occasion.
- Slow cooker breakfast casserole – a recipe repost that needed a touch of updating! I love enjoying this breakfast on Christmas morning or a good meal prep breakfast. Here is a roundup of Christmas morning recipes if you need more ideas!
What to cook for Christmas
- Prime Rib – a fun treat, even if you’re staying put this Christmas
- Pork roast – a great dinner to have on hand an affordable way to celebrate the holidays
- Slow cooker cheesy potatoes – the best side dish for any gathering because it doesn’t take up oven space
- Stuffed mushrooms – this is something we have made for years in my family, so I love making it every year at the holidays.
Theme of the week:
If you’re looking for some fun holiday things to make in the kitchen:
- Graham cracker houses – Making mini graham cracker houses is a fun activity for kids who are a little older, or even for adults! Get a bunch of fun toppings and the options are endless.
- Christmas tree pinwheels – Take a break from all those sweets for these cheddar bacon ranch pinwheels, use green tortillas to make them extra festive!
- Hot chocolate mix – Hot cocoa season is definitely in full swing. Here is a recipe for how to make an incredible hot chocolate mix, and how to have a hot cocoa bar!
- Food gift ideas – If you’re looking for something thoughtful to give that impossible to shop for someone or want to give something special, you can make and give a food gift!
What I Made:
- Eggless waffles – I talk about these all of the time, but we do actually eater them ALL OF THE TIME! It is one recipe I 100% know by heart so I love making it. Plus, I’m always sure to make extra for the freezer.
Oh I love hearing how this reader changed up my Freezer chocolate chip cookies recipe!
- “I make this recipe and add vanilla bean, chili powder and pecans! I love your site and little fam! Much joy and blessings in your new home”
Things I’m Loving
- I’ve been making my butternut squash soup a lot, so I’m LOVING my 26 oz Weck jars (just ordered a few more because I use them for storage and for keeping my sourdough starter).
- I finally found an arched mirror that didn’t break the bank and that was in stock…at Home Depot of all places. I couldn’t be happier and finally my mantle feels done!
Item from Amazon you didn’t know you needed:
- Book Darts – if you’re into highlighting quotes or wanting to come back to things (like recipes) I recently found out about these, and I LOVE them!!
- We got something cool to try called Abuelita that Nick found, and it made really good hot chocolate!!)
What I’m Reading
- Wowa, did not see that coming with The Guest List – it was SO good – especially as an audiobook, I’m kind of sad it’s over.
- Now I’m listening to The Boy’s Club on audible – only thing I’m working on getting past is that the narrator is the same as my favorite book of the year: Beach Read
- Still waiting on In a Holidaze to be delivered…now that I think of it I should probably check on that.
- We were going to go for a walk, then it started to rain so we played with umbrellas
- I swear we followed the recipe, but we tried to make homemade playdough and it was a huge disaster (in my opinion lol).
- We get take out from a local restaurant once a week. This week we had food from The Nobel, it’s super small and one of my favorites. They change their menu all the time, but they had their BLT dip – it’s a recipe I recreated for the blog – so we had to get it. Now I want it for the holidays again!
- My in-laws gave us a gingerbread house kit – it came with the gingerbread house already assembled – genius!! It was Wilton brand; they have an awesome selection on Amazon. Ben and I decorated it during the twins’ nap, then when they woke up and saw it, Frankie wanted to eat it and there were ALL the tears.
- Now that it’s starting to snow a little, Ben is carrying his shovel on walks and shoveling for them – how sweet, lol.
Did you Know?
You can go to the ‘recipe index’ (found under the ‘recipes’ tab on my header) and browse through recipes by category.
The Final Note
- Easy Baked Brie – only 2 ingredients and such a good holiday app
- Nick and I watched John Wick – so stupid, but not that bad if I’m being honest (yes I looked away a lot, I’m a baby) but I mean, Keanu!!! I wanted more back story and Nick informed me there was a 2 and 3 soooo guess we’ll find out, lol.
- 2020 commemorative ornament, 3 fun options:
Do you have a favorite Christmas ornament? I’d love to know, so just leave a comment below and let me know
P.S., people have started getting their SweetPhi + Fat Toad Farm caramel and I’ve been so touched by the wonderful feedback!! It’s almost out, so order now!! Use code SweetPhi for $1 off any order containing Hint of Salt!