This amazing plant based 5 ingredient vegan mac and “cheese” is a healthy take on a comforting dish the whole family will love!As soon as fall rolls around and the leaves start changing colors, it signals it’s time for comfort food in the kitchen. But comfort foods tend to not be all that healthy.
I’m a huge proponent of eating as many fruits and veggies and healthy foods as one can, but I admit, I lack in that department. I know at the end of some days I think back over what I ate and think I should have had more veggies or healthy options.
This vegan mac n “cheese” recipe is the perfect example of making a classic comfort food into a dish that’s actually healthy (yet still tastes good) so you won’t have to think back if you made the right mealtime choice!
This mac and “cheese” (I’m putting quotes around the word “cheese” because there is no actual cheese in this dish) has veggies and protein in it and comes together thanks to a key ingredient that makes the sauce which coats the noodles beautifully: tofu!
Tofu? YUP, this dish is made with silken tofu from Nasoya Tofu. If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you’ll have noticed some fantastic dishes made with tofu like these 5 ingredient tofu sushi bowls, or this tofu dumpling stir fry.
You see, when I was pregnant with baby Ben, I struggled with getting enough protein in my diet because I just couldn’t stand the smell or look of meat, so I made tofu quite a bit for a good source of protein, and have a love for it now.
I had some silken tofu in the fridge (silken tofu is super creamy when blended – perfect for replacing dairy or eggs in recipes) and instead of putting it in a smoothie like I normally do, decided I wanted to try my hand at making it into a sauce for pasta. I used carrots to give the sauce that yellow-orangey look of mac and cheese, nutritional yeast to give it that cheesy flavor, and silken tofu to give it that creaminess.
The end result is this fantastic looking and tasting 5 ingredient vegan mac and “cheese” that’s good for you! One of my girlfriends with kids tried it and said she was making it the very next day for her kids, and said that because of the perfect flavor and texture, they’d never know that it was good for them!
Also, something I really love about this dish is that it reheats really well; because there’s no greasy dairy in it that when reheated leaves a pool of grossness at the bottom of the bowl lol.
This delicious 5 ingredient plant based mac and cheese can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free pasta! I hope you enjoy this week’s Five Ingredient Friday recipe.
5 Ingredient Mac and "Cheese" Recipe
- 6 oz dry elbow macaroni use vegan/gluten free/pasta of choice
- 3 medium/large carrots cut into chunks
- ½ lb Nasoya brand silken tofu 1/2 a package
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Cook pasta in salted water, according to package instructions. Reserve 1 ¼ cups water pasta was cooking in. Drain pasta and then transfer it to a big bowl.
- Fill a small pot ½ way with water, bring water to a boil, and boil carrot pieces for 15 minutes, or until carrots are tender when poked with a fork. Drain water from carrots.
- In a food processor or blender put carrots, 1 cup of the reserved pasta water, silken tofu, nutritional yeast and garlic salt. Process for 30 seconds to 1 minute until smooth. Scape down the sides with a spatula, add remaining ¼ cup reserved pasta water and process for 30 seconds.
- Pour sauce over the pasta and stir so that the sauce evenly coats the noodles, then serve and enjoy.
This post is brought to you by my partnership with Nasoya. As always, all thoughts and opinions are mine alone. Thank you for supporting the brands that make the SweetPhi blog possible.