This lightened up version of a classic Italian dish is made in an air fryer and is perfect for a quick delicious dinner recipe.
Chicken piccata is an Italian dish which is transitionally breaded-fried chicken which is then covered in a lemony-caper-butter sauce and is very calorie laden. This lightened up version comes from the queen of making healthier/lighter recipes: Gina from Skinnytaste.com‘s newest cookbook The Skinnytaste Air Fryer Cookbook: The 75 Best Healthy Recipes for Your Air Fryer.
In the 3 days I’ve had the cookbook, I’ve made 3 recipes. I’ve made this air fryer chicken piccata, I’ve made breakfast potatoes and bagels. All were sooo good, I’d definitely recommend this cookbook. This book is great even if you don’t have an air fryer because at the back of the book Gina has included baking instructions in a traditional oven for all of the recipes.
I’m such a lemon and sour taste/flavor fan, my husband tolerates it, but I’m sure my love of lemon can be a little overpowering at times lol. This air fryer chicken piccata strikes the perfect balance between having a tangy lemony flavor but not being over-powering at the same time.
Whereas traditional chicken piccata is coated in flour and pan fried in butter and oil, this chicken piccata is coated in seasoned bread crumbs and cooked in an air fryer. I honestly prefer bread crumbs as a coating, and think you will too with this amazing recipe. I used seasoned panko breadcrumbs (a Japanese-style bread crumb) because my husband is allergic to barley, and regular breadcrumbs usually contain barley, whereas panko breadcrumbs do not. Either would work great in this recipe.
While the chicken is cooking in the air fryer, you’ll make a wonderful lemon-caper-white wine pan sauce that will then get spooned over the chicken. It’s a very delicious dish. You could serve the chicken with a side salad or over some whole wheat pasta.
I so love my air fryer and definitely recommend one, here are some other air fryer recipes I’ve shared:
- 5 ingredient Cuban air fryer empanadas
- Air fryer falafel dinner bowls
- 5 ingredient crispy cheesy air fryer chicken
Next time you’re looking for a great air fryer recipe, look no further than this air fryer chicken piccata recipe!
Air Fryer Chicken Piccata
- 2 8 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all fat trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs whole wheat or gluten free (or panko breadcrumbs)
- olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon whipped butter
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Juice of 1 lemon lemon halves reserved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon capers drained
- For Serving:
- 1 lemon sliced
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves
- For the chicken: Halve the chicken breasts horizontally for a total of 4 cutlets. Place the cutlets between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Use a heavy skillet or meat mallet to pound to a 1/4-inch thickness. Season both sides with the salt and pepper to taste.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg whites with 1 teaspoon water. Place the bread crumbs on a large plate. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg, then in the bread crumbs and place on a work surface. Generously spray both sides of the chicken with the olive oil.
- Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees. (or 375 if your air fryer doesn't set to 370)
- Working in batches, place the chicken cutlets in the air fryer.
- Cook for about 6 minutes, flipping halfway until cooked through, crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce: In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chicken broth, wine, lemon juice, reserved lemon halves, and pepper to taste. Boil over high heat until the liquid is reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. remove from the heat. Discard the lemon halves and stir in the capers.
- To serve: Divide the chicken among serving plates. spoon 2 tablespoons of the sauce over each piece of chicken. Top with the lemon slices and parsley and serve.