This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m talking about all the cooking we are doing at our house and how we’re making it work. I’m also sharing an update on what the crazy days look like at our house.
Anyone feel that they are cooking ALL THE TIME?! I was feeling like I was always a step behind. So I started jotting down a meal plan, a list of what I was planning to make, and it totally changed the game for me.
For the past few months I’ve been making notes, and then I put together a 5-day meal plan, SHOPPING LIST included!
To grab your copy GO HERE (and I’ve also included a bonus week with a shopping list for that as well!)
I’ve always been an early riser; it’s one of the only ways I can get a little bit of work done before the kids are up. Now that they’re all sleeping weird and waking up early anyway, I kind of stopped setting an alarm or having structure to my mornings before the kids rise (at 6am, latest btw). Then I heard/watched this video about maximizing your day by waking up at 5am. It was amazing and I’ve been waking up again at 5am this week (not gonna lie – it was really hard the first 3 days).
New on the Blog:
I’m especially excited about this week’s posts because one of them was truly a labor of love that I’m so happy to share with you!
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers
- 5 Day Family Meal Plan and Shopping List – this is the post!
- Tuna Salad Recipe with Pickled Cucumber
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Sandwich
What to Make:
Mother’s Day is on Sunday (in case you’re totally loosing track of days like I am!) and I love to enjoy brunch on the weekend, so here are a few things I’m hoping to eat this weekend:
- Lemon Loaf – ok, I can’t get enough of this recipe. Lovely for Spring
- Vanilla Scones with orange glaze – a great copycat recipe
- Vegetable Frittata – a healthier, protein-filled option
- Iced Salted Honey Latte – because who doesn’t love a good coffee treat to start the day?
What I’ve Been Making:
- We made eggless waffles (for the millionth time). Ben mixes all the ingredients and at least three times a week requests them. ALSO, the twins are now eating them, so we go through them fast. It’s also beyond cute that Ben has started helping feed the babies, he’ll give them a little piece of fruit or waffle and knows they have have to be in small pieces
- This spinach salad with soft boiled egg is so so so amazing, I’ve made it many times, instead of spinach I’ll just use whatever greens I have. I ran out of nuts and it was still so amazing!
- I had some asparagus and chorizo in the fridge and made Spanish asparagus revuelto – even Ben liked it (he thought it was little hot dogs with eggs lol)! I used this recipe from Stephanie at Sarcastic Cooking.
- I was taking an inventory of the freezer and found a bag of peach pie filling (dated July 2019 – oops) I made it into a peach crumble and it was so so good and didn’t taste like it had freezer burn. So so good!
- With the twins eating so much more I’ve been making lots of recipes. I made them veggie nuggets
- Here’s how you can make your own veggie nuggets:
- 1 cup quinoa/brown rice mix
- 1/4 cup cooked sweet potato
- 1/4 cup kale
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- Mix in a food processor
- Bake at 350 for 18 minutes. So yummy!
Since Mother’s Day is coming up, this comment was sweet to me because it’s a recipe made for kids, the little rascals that make me a Mom!
- “Made it yesterday and it was a great success! I like that, brand doesn’t matter as long as it’s cheddar cheese. And I like how easy your recipes as well as the products are that you use. gonna save this recipe. thank you for sharing.”
I love seeing all of the people that have been making my sourdough pizza crust. I mean, seriously, look how beautiful this pizza is.
Links from Around the Web:
- As you know, I’ve been making sourdough. I finally got a case of bigger Weck Jars (here is a combo pack) and I love them so so much for storing my sourdough starter and other things (I have some soups in the freezer in the jars).
- This candle has me really wanting to get out in the garden. It just smells like summer and flowers and gardening.
What I’m Reading
- Just finished The Bromance Book Club and it was a super cheesy romance with a few steamy parts that were super cute.
- I just started Owe You One and love it; I love British humor!
What I’m Watching
- We watched Love Wedding Repeat on Netflix, it was super cute
- Billions is back on HBO!
- Can we talk about how the twins are eating eating eating! I am now using my baby food cookbook ALL the time.
- Freddie does not want anything to do with purees anymore. He spits them out or puts his hand in front of his mouth and blocks the spoon. He just wants something he can hold!
- Frankie on the other hand, is a cute little eater and eats whatever you give her in dainty little bites
- Ben helps feed the babies and it’s so so cute
- Freddie’s two front teeth came in!
- The babies and Ben give me zero personal space lol, they crawl all over me. I’m under the pile of covers, lol
- We have SO MUCH laundry lately, so so much laundry. I decided to try and have Ben help me. He was not very helpful. He is laying under the blanket and then wanted to lay on top of the stack of laundry. But at the end he learned how to sort colors and fold a pillow case, I’ll call that a win.
- Ben got a painted rock from his cousin and calls it his “special rock” and wanted to paint one for her, so we went and collected some rocks and then he cleaned them, so so sweet
- We celebrated Cinco De Mayo with the twins trying black beans and tortillas, and Ben got a mini pinata, he gently tapped it so Nick ended up having to break it open, lol.
- It was so nice outside that we sat outside and watched Nick mow the lawn, Ben kept giving Nick pointers (like “don’t hit my sandbox” lol) and then he blew lots of bubbles.
Popular This Week
- Most visited blog post: this sourdough pizza crust I’m seeing everyone make!
- Most liked Instagram post: these vanilla scones with orange glaze
- Most pinned image: tips on throwing an easy Cinco de Mayo fiesta
- Most viewed YouTube video: people are still loving this dessert recipe.
- Most purchased item – these Birkenstocks that are waterproof
Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube page – we’re adding new recipe videos weekly!
How are you doing? What are you cooking or ‘making work’ with what you have? Leave a comment below and let me know.