This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I learned a very important lesson about what not to do while wearing a mask. I learned it while Nick and I went out and ate a restaurant for the first time in over a year!
The big news this week is that Nick and I went to a restaurant – outdoor seating. It was our first time out since March 2020 and it was so nice. We went to a new Italian restaurant in Milwaukee called Sorella with some friends. It was so lovely.
Definitely a learning moment though…don’t wear bright red lipstick with a mask, lol. Thankfully it didn’t smudge too bad, but I still was self conscious about it getting all over my face when I had my mask on (when we talked to the server, etc.) Like I said, it was my first time out and I was so excited. I didn’t let it hinder the good time 🙂
Most importantly, Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there!!
Sharing the latest posts up on Sweetphi.com!
- Cucumber Sandwiches – a tasty recipe I created years ago has recently been updated on the blog!
- Weekly meal plan – an easy way to create a meal plan with complete grocery list.
- Mother’s Day gift ideas – I originally published this maybe two years ago (??) but I am always updating and adding new ideas, so take a peak!
- Mexican recipe roundup – perfect for any Taco Tuesday night.
- Chicken with creamy mustard sauce – a recipe from Jessica Merchant’s new cookbook: Everyday Dinners
- Love List – our weekly list of great finds; articles, items to purchase and more!
- I haven’t been cooking much (yup, that’s right, even food bloggers have off weeks!), so I have been relying on my Home Chef meals.
- I did make some tasty tacos for Cinco de Mayo and I used this recipe because it’s so easy and tasty!
What to make:
- I’m all about those make-ahead things that you can grab and go for a quick picnic. Like this 5 ingredient tortellini pasta salad or this potluck pasta salad – a family favorite!!
- Muffins are also a really great grab and go snack and it’s almost cherry season so I’ll be making these sour cherry muffins or here’s a list of 7 muffin recipe ideas.
I use this recipe for fruit and nut muesli rounds when I am craving a protein box form Starbucks because they are a spot-on copycat recipe! Gad to see this reader comment come through after making the recipe:
- “Tried these out for the first time tonight. Oh my goodness they are delicious! Thank you for sharing this recipe. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes!!”
These chocolate dipped hazelnut sandwich cookies are great to make year-round; not just at the holidays – and check out what this reader made:
- Foot peel mask – I heard from a friend her mom was raving about these, and I’m intrigued. I mean, just look at those product description photos. Gross, but maybe they work? It’s $9.99 for a 3 pack!
- It’s been a while since I’ve read a good book that wasn’t a romance, and What Comes After by JoAnne Tompkins is a page turner!! It’s so so good!! I’m almost done, and the story keeps unfolding. Definitely would recommend it, keep some tissues handy.
Cookbook of the week:
- Everyday Dinners – I mentioned this cookbook earlier this week when I shared the chicken with creamy mustard sauce – it’s a new release and is great if you have a family, all meals can be made in 30 minutes and have 10 minute meal prep suggestions for every recipe (what can be made head or prepped in 10 minutes some time in the day beforehand).
- Remember how last week I told you we got the kids some water shoes/socks? Well it was 80+ degrees outside this past weekend so we took the kids outside to play with the water table (a friend gave us their old one, but I cannot recommend a water table enough!!)
- It was Orthodox Easter this past weekend, their Nana had set up an easter egg hunt, each kid got their own colored eggs (there was drama because Ben wanted RED, not BLUE lol) but it was such a genius idea and the kids had so much fun!!
- Craft time this week was making paper pizzas. Frankie tried to eat the ‘cheese’ lol, and then we baked them in the play kitchen, a really fun activity.
- I forgot my credit card and didn’t have any cash on me, thank God for the Starbucks app! I got a Protein bistro box for lunch and it reminded me that I have this recipe for fruit and nut bread rounds which are an amazing copycat recipe. I’m going to make them and make my own boxes!
- Have you watched Superstore? I have just started watching it a bit (on Hulu) and am finding it so funny. It’s silly and ridiculous, but a nice break for a quick giggle.
- I keep finding myself searching for magnets on my refrigerator – especially with all of the adorable kids art to hang! I just added these to my Amazon cart; simple and beautiful…now let’s hope Ben doesn’t remove them and hide them all.