I’m at it with my crock pot again you guys (I know I posted a delicious 5 ingredient slow cooker chicken and quinoa dish recently), and today I’m sharing my favorite chicken taco recipe!
This Five Ingredient Friday recipe is ridiculously easy to make, yet has the most bold and amazing tomato flavors that are perfectly complimented by the creamy sour cream and Queso Fresco cheese that is crumbled on top.
The way I’m making the chicken in this recipe isn’t revolutionary, and I’m sure you’ve probably seen some version around somewhere, but this is the way I make the chicken for these tacos, and it’s a tried and true recipe that I make quite often (if a food blogger makes something more than once, you KNOW it’s good!)
You cook chicken and two cans of diced tomatoes with chilies (or you could use a jar of salsa) in a slow cooker (I use this slow cooker) and just set it and forget it. Then after the chicken is done cooking, you simply shred it, and voila, you have amazing shredded salsa chicken.
And then when you’re ready to serve, you just warm up some tortillas and spread a little sour cream on one side, fill with shredded chicken, and then crumble some queso freso cheese on top and you’ll have yourself the best chicken tacos!
This super easy crockpot dinner can be made ahead too!
What’s your favorite kind of taco? Do you ever use your slow cooker for tacos?
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cans 14.5 oz each Diced tomatoes with chilies (or 1 jar of salsa)-heat level to your choice
- 1 tsp of salt
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 oz Queso Fresco cheese or mexican blend shredded cheese
- 2 tbs Sour Cream
- In a crock pot/slowcooker put the chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, sprinkle the salt and cover. Turn on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- After chicken is done cooking, use two forks and shred the chicken.
- To serve tacos: warm tortilla shells, and then spoon 2 tablespoons of chicken and tomatoes into the center of the tortillas, spoon a little sour cream on the sides of the tortilla and then crumble a little queso fresco cheese over the tacos and then serve!
I absolutely love my slow cooker, I use it all the time. However, my sister-in-law lent me her slow cooker when we were having a party and needed two of them. I was so impressed with the slow cooker she had. It had these little clasps on the side (like this one) and was super portable, I’m definitely going to ask for one with clasps for my birthday!
Also, these 5 ingredient slow cooker chicken tacos have gotten some fantastic feedback from readers. One reader wrote on my facebook page that she made these and not only did they turn out great, but that her whole family of picky eaters loved them! If you ever make a SweePhi blog recipe, I’d love to see a picture of it! Check out my Reader Recreations page for some examples of recipes readers have made and sent me pictures of.
Disclaimer: some of the above links are affiliate links, if you purchase amazon products through my store at no cost to you, I will earn a few pennies. As always, thank you for supporting the brands and products I love that make the Sweetphi blog possible.