Craving chicken teriyaki and vegetables but not sure if you want to fire up the grill or stay indoors? Well, you’re in luck! I’m sharing a versatile and mouthwatering chicken teriyaki recipe that can be cooked either on the grill or on the stovetop. Whether you prefer the smoky charred flavors of grilled chicken teriyaki or the convenience of stovetop cooking, this recipe has got you covered.
Reason you’ll love this chicken teriyaki
- Flavorful: This chicken teriyaki and vegetables recipe is so flavorful! The combination of soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, honey, and garlic creates a delicious marinade that infuses the chicken and vegetables with savory, sweet, and tangy notes. Each bite is a delightful balance of flavors that will leave you craving more.
- Quick and Easy: Busy schedules shouldn’t compromise your desire for a delicious homemade meal. With this recipe, you can have a mouthwatering grilled chicken dish on the table in no time. The marinade comes together quickly, and the chicken cooks on the grill in just 10 minutes. It’s a hassle-free recipe that doesn’t sacrifice taste or quality.
- Versatility: Grilled Chicken Teriyaki is incredibly versatile. You can serve it as the main course alongside steamed rice and vegetables for a satisfying meal. It’s also perfect for salads, wraps, or sandwiches. The options are endless, allowing you to get creative and enjoy this delicious chicken and veggies in various ways. You could also use a different protein choice: beef, pork, salmon or tofu in place of the chicken.
- Healthier Alternative: When you make this recipe at home, you have control over the ingredients, making it a healthier alternative to takeout options.
- Crowd-Pleaser: Whether you’re hosting a summer barbecue or simply preparing a weeknight family dinner, this Chicken Teriyaki is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. The mouthwatering aroma of grilling chicken, combined with the delicious teriyaki sauce, will have everyone gathering around the table. It’s a dish that appeals to both kids and adults alike, making it a perfect choice for any occasion and a great weeknight meal
Ingredients for chicken teriyaki
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs: For this recipe you’ll cube chicken so that it marinates faster and cook chicken with the vegetables.
- Stir fry vegetables: You can use fresh (preferred) or frozen stir fry vegetable mix, you’ll need about 3-4 cups
- Homemade Teriyaki: You’ll make an easy teriyaki marinade for the chicken and vegetables. If you don’t want to make sauce you can always use a bottled version.
How to make chicken teriyaki and vegetables
- Pour sauce over chicken and let chicken marinate
- Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours. No longer than 24 hours
- Heat up your grill
- Add vegetables to the chicken marinating bowl and stir to combine
- Pour chicken and vegetables into a grill basket, discard any excess liquid, but with the vegetables there shouldn’t be any
- Stir a few times and when chicken is cooked through (usually around 10-15 minutes) remove from grill. Serve with white rice and enjoy.
- To cook stovetop heat a large pan or wok over medium high heat and 1 tbs vegetable oil. Add your marinated chicken and vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken and vegetables are cooked (usually around 15 minutes)
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- 5 ingredient crispy onion chicken
- The best roasted chicken recipe
- Arugula salad with roasted chicken and potatoes
Chicken teriyaki and vegetables
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin or substitute rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 lb chicken breast or thighs cubed into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups stir fry vegetables
- 2-3 cups cooked rice or brown rice or quinoa
To make the sauce
- In a small sauce pan whisk together soy sauce, mirin, 1/4 cup water, the brown sugar, honey, and garlic. Heat on medium-low and whisk occasionally until the sugar is dissolved
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water until smooth, then whisk it into the sauce. Continue to cook until the sauce simmers slightly and thickens, about another minute. Add the garlic in and stir.
To make chicken teriyaki
- Put cubed chicken in a bowl, pour sauce over the chicken. Allow to marinate 30 minutes or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat grill or stovetop
- Add vegetables to chicken with marinade and stir so that the vegetables are coated in teriyaki sauce.
- Pour chicken and vegetables into a grill basket, discard any excess liquid, but with the vegetables there shouldn't be any. Stir a few times and when chicken is cooked through (usually around 10-15 minutes) remove from grill. Serve with white rice and enjoy.
- To cook stovetop- heat a large pan or wok over medium high heat and 1 tbs vegetable oil. Add your marinated chicken and vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken and vegetables are cooked (usually around 15 minutes).