Lately I’ve realized that some things are just better when homemade, like the 5 ingredient ketchup and rosa tomato sauce I made recently, then I made this Homemade Enchilada Sauce and that realization once again was proven true!
When my husband asks me what I want for dinner, my response is almost always: MEXICAN!
I love the bold flavors, the spices and all the different takes one can make with the cuisine. Some of my faves include these Mexican Turkey Burgers, this Mexican Corn Salad, or these Mexican Caramel Hot Chocolate Cookies!
And with the abundance of tomatoes growing in my garden, I wanted to incorporate tomatoes into Mexican food, and what better way (besides making restaurant style salsa) than to make this homemade enchilada sauce?!
The sauce is super easy to make, only takes about 20 minutes to make, and tastes so much better than anything you would find at a grocery store.
You start by browning some onions, then adding spices like chipotle chili powder, oregano and paprika, and then adding in some tomatoes and jalapeno, cook, puree and then enjoy!
Stay tuned for an awesome recipe using this sauce tomorrow!
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Large tomato cut into 8s
- 1 Jalapeno chopped
- 1 Anaheim pepper or another half a jalapeno, or if you don't like it with a medium heat, you can leave this out!
- 1/2 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove crushed
- 2 Tbs Tomato paste
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 Tbs Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Chipotle chili pepper
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- In a small pot add olive oil, let it get hot, then add the onions and crushed garlic and cook until slightly browned (about 5 minutes) stirring occasionally, then add all the seasonings and stir a few times.
- Next add the tomatoes and peppers, tomato paste and water (all remaining ingredients) and stir and bring to a boil (this takes about 10 minutes).
- As soon as it is done cooking, turn heat off, wait 5 minutes, then pour entire contents of the pot into a food processor or blender and pulsate until well combined and no more chunks remain (about 1 minute). Then enjoy!