When you’re looking to feed a crowd and you’re just not sure what to make, I’m here to tell you that the way to go is 100% a slow cooker chili bar! The best slow cooker chili recipe is surrounded by chili toppings so everyone can make their perfect bowl of chili.
Everyone loves chili, and with a bunch of different toppings, there is something for even the pickiest of eaters!
You know at a party when everyone seems to congregate in the kitchen regardless of what’s going on in the rest of the house? Well, with the slow cooker chili bar, you don’t have to worry about that because everything can be made ahead of time AND since it’s a slow cooker recipe, you just set it and forget it and it cooks itself.
What ingredients do you need to make chili?
- Lean ground beef
- Red or yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Chipotles in adobo
- Diced tomatoes
- Beef broth
- Black beans
- Kidney beans
- White beans – such as cannellini or navy beans
- Chili powder
- Garlic salt
- Hot paprika
What about the toppings for the slow cooker chili bar?
- Tortilla chips
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Corn bread muffins or these amazing dipping sticks
- Tater tots
- Green onions
The chili cooks itself to perfection in the slow cooker. This – I actually have two of the exact same ones, just different colors and am thinking of getting a third, because they’re so awesome for parties.
What other slow cooker recipes are great for a party?
- Slow cooker cheesy potatoes – only 5 ingredients
- 3 ingredient pulled pork – perfect for sandwiches or to add on top of nachos
- Qdoba Queso – a recipe re-creation that everyone loves
This chili has just the right combination of beans and a perfect hint of spice. And when you’re cooking it, be sure to cook for 8 hours on low. I find that that timing really helps the sauce thicken up and really come together.
Now I’d love to know – what are your favorite chili toppings?
Other recipes you might enjoy:
Slow Cooker Chili Bar
For the chili:
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 red or yellow onion medium, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbs. chipotles in adobo chopped (I used about 1 chipotle, use more if you like spicy)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes 15 oz. each
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cans black beans 15 oz. each, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans 15 oz. can, drained and rinsed
- 1 can white beans 15 oz cans (such as cannellini or navy), drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. hot paprika
- green onions
- jalapeno slices
- avocado slices
- cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream
- tater tots or fries
- corn bread muffins
- tortilla chips
- Put first three ingredients in a slow cooker (ground beef, chopped onion, garlic cloves) and break up the meat either with a spoon or with your hands. I just use my hands and massage the meat to break it up and incorporate the onions.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and turn on low and cook for 8 hours.
- A few times throughout cooking, stir the chili and break up the meat.
- Chili will thicken towards the end. Turn slow cooker setting on warm, and you can leave the chili in the slow cooker for hours and keep it nice and warm for guests. Serve with toppings of choice.