When you need a quick and easy, vegetarian option for Taco Tuesday, look no further than these Smashed Black Bean Tacos!
These tacos are made with seasoned smashed black beans, cheese, lime crema, avocados and cilantro. And they only take 15 minutes to make!
If you love black beans and need another easy meal option, be sure to check out these 5 ingredient freezer black bean burritos too.
What ingredients do you need for smashed black bean tacos?
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Black beans
- The spices:
- chili powder
- garlic salt
- Taco shells – try these for street taco style
- Fresco cheese – or sub with your favorite cheese
Ok, so making the tacos is fairly straight forward and simple.
- Warm and mash black beans. Add seasoning.
- Spread black beans on tortillas and sprinkle with cheese.
- Then broil for an extra touch of tasty.
- Add crema and toppings. Enjoy!
Yes, these steps are over-simplified so be sure to read the full recipe card below for detailed instructions!
But what makes these smashed black bean tacos the very best?! The crema!
All you need to make this crema is:
- Sour cream
And when you’ve assembled your tacos, simply top with sliced avocado and chopped cilantro – or whatever your favorite taco toppings are!
Tacos are the perfect way to have fun and get creative with toppings. What is your favorite taco to make?
Smashed Black Bean Tacos
- 1-2 teaspoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 flour taco shells taqueria style/street taco style
- 1/2 cup Fresco cheese crumbled. Or substitute with any other cheese
For lime crema
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- In a non-stick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add drained black beans and seasonings. Let cook for 2 minutes, then use a masher to smash the black beans. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Until hot throughout.
- Lay tortillas on a baking sheet. Spread black beans onto tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Put under the broiler for 2 minutes (this step is optional, you could serve without broiling).
To make lime crema
- Combine sour cream, juice of 1 lime and 1 tbs water.
- To assemble tacos top each tortilla with avocado pieces, a drizzle of lime crema and some cilantro. Enjoy!