When you’re looking for a heartier cold dish look no further than this three bean and steak salad. Featuring seared steak and a tangy mustard vinaigrette, this salad is best served cold making it perfect for those hot summer days.
Summer is in full swing, and with it come all the joys of soaring temperatures. Even on the hottest of days, it’s fun to get together with friends and family for backyard barbecues, potlucks, picnics and tailgating. But on those extra-hot days, your best bet for beating the heat might be an all-cold menu.
[Tweet “Three bean and steak salad – perfect for picnics – get the recipe from @sweetphi”]
Save the grilled steaks and corn-on-the-cob for another day. No one will complain when your refreshment-focused menu includes the likes of watermelon salsa with chips, Mexican street corn salad, this three-bean and steak salad and a strawberries and cream icebox pie, all foods that are best served cold. For this dish I cooked the steak in my Le Creuset skillet (like this one), it just really cooks steak perfectly (I also used the skillet when I made these steak and roasted vegetable bowls and when I made this corn and zucchini salad-that can also be used as a pizza topping!)
I have always been such a fan of green beans, both fresh or even canned (I actually really really LOVE canned green beans, so when fresh ones are not in season I make this salad with canned green beans). Beans are not only super delish, there are many health benefits to them-they are high in antioxidants, fiber, and protein. They work great with different acidic flavors, making them perfect to pair with a mustard vinaigrette that is used in this recipe.
Having seen many versions of bean salads, this one, including steak, is definitely my favorite! It’s great to bring along because if anyone is gluten-free this would definitely be a great dish for them to enjoy. Also, I know a lot of people doing Whole30 (see my Whole30 week 1, week 2, week 3 and week 4 overviews from when I did it back in February) and this would be a great Whole30 dinner recipe.
Enjoy this three bean and steak salad as a great dish that is served cold!
- 1 ¼ pounds beef top sirloin steak
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fresh green beans ends removed (or 1 can, drained)
- Dash of salt garlic salt and pepper
- 1 can 14.5 ounces cut golden wax beans, drained
- 1 can 16 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt about
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Pat beef dry with a paper towel, then sprinkle with the measured amounts of salt, garlic salt and pepper. Add steak to pan and cook 4 minutes on each side, flipping only once (to ensure a nice sear). Remove from heat and let rest 10 minutes, then cut into very thin slices.
- In a skillet over high heat, toss fresh green beans with 1 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with a dash of salt, garlic salt and pepper. Saute 5 minutes, until crisp-tender and lightly browned, then let cool. (Skip this step if using canned green beans.)
- In a bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar and the 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, then add wax beans, kidney beans and green beans and stir. Add steak slices and stir, and finish off the salad by sprinkling with about a teaspoon of kosher salt. Serve cold. Store in refrigerator if not serving immediately.
Little Cooking tips says
That is one tasty, protein-packed salad! We don’t have wax beans here in Greece, but we do have kidney beans as well as fresh green beans (those in abundance). We actually brought some back from Evia, straight from the garden. We divided them in batches and stored it in the freezer, so this is one of the first recipes they’ll be used for:) We can’t wait to try this Phi!
Thank you for the wonderful recipe!
Panos and Mirella
I think you’ll love this dish, it is super tasty. I would just use more green beans if you do’t have wax beans 🙂
This looks delicious!!!
Thank you so much, it’s a great cold dish for those hot summer days 🙂
Jocelyn Delk Adams (@grandbabycake) says
Wow this is fantastic!
Thank you so much!
Hi Phi, this is a perfect meal for my husband and I.
I think you both would love it!