I do not make salads nearly enough, as evidenced by this steak and nectarine salad recipe which I made and then repeatedly made and made and made again because it is so perfect!
I think the trouble with making salads at home is 1-making a good dressing and 2-figuring out what kind of toppings to have on it to make the salad delicious and filling without being too over the top.
In this steak and nectarine salad, I think I’ve discovered the perfect balance, the homemade salad shallot vinaigrette is amazing, and the fruit-cheese-nuts-steak toppings are just so delicious.
This is the perfect dish to transition from summer to fall.
Even though around here in Wisconsin, where the leaves are already starting to change colors, it’s deceptive because the weather outside is hot hot hot (it got over 90 this past week, it’s not even supposed to be that hot in the summer around here!)
Something else cool about this recipe is that you either grill or pan fry the steak making it super easy to prepare, AND this salad is perfect for meal prepping (it was such a great lunch!)
In the past, my favorite salad has been this spinach salad with soft boiled eggs and a mustard vinaigrette (<- I made that salad several times this summer) but for a quick weeknight salad, this steak and nectarine salad definitely is my new favorite!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
Steak and Nectarine Salad Recipe
- For the steak:
- 4 sirloin steaks 4-6oz each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- pinch of salt/pepper
- For the vinaigrette:
- 1 shallot finely chopped/minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon jam I like using raspberry jam, you could also use honey in place of jam
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the salad:
- 4-6 cups spring mix lettuce
- 2 oz feta crumbled
- 2 oz pecan halves can amp up your salad by using spiced pecans
- 2 nectarines pit removed and sliced
- Cook the steak (either via grill or on the stove top). Drizzle olive oil in the pan (or on the steaks if grilling) and sprinkle each steak with a pinch of salt and pepper). Cook steak according to your done-level preference. I like mine medium, so it was 3-4 minutes per side on high heat. Remove from pan (or grill) and set aside to rest (let steak rest for 5 minutes before slicing). Meanwhile make the rest of the salad.
- To make the vinaigrette add all ingredients (minced shallot, red wine vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, jam and salt) to a bowl, the whisk until all ingredients are well mixed.
- In a large salad bowl add the spring mix, the crumbled feta, pecan halves and nectarine slices. Pour vinaigrette/salad dressing over the salad and toss salad to combine.
- Divide salad into 4 large bowls, and top with steak slices, enjoy.