While I am trying to meal prep more often and better, I am always keeping an eye on how much meals cost. It’s easy for food to add up and blow your family budget. This 5 ingredient chicken sausage and leek skillet is filling, inexpensive and a great family meal! Bonus? It’s only 5 Ingredients, so it’s a great easy weeknight meal and perfect for this weeks five-ingredient Friday!
I love cooking with chicken sausage because it’s easy to cook and there are so many flavors of chicken sausage. The best part is, we almost always have chicken sausage in the house so the meal is even easier!
This recipe is simple and comes together quickly. I keep it on rotation for my easy weeknight meals when we don’t have a ton of time. All it takes is a quick three steps and you have a meal everyone will love!
- Cook/soften leeks
- Add chicken sausage and white beans to cook
- Saute, stir and enjoy!
Any meal that I can sneak beans into is also a bonus. Beans are a great source of protein for the little ones-ok, really for anyone-in your house. Plus this meal is super filling so that’s a plus as well.
Do you have a favorite skillet meal? They are so simple to throw together, which of course means that they are my fave! Since I think skillet meals are great for everyone to make more of, I wanted to share a few of my other fabulous recipes that I cook in one skillet:
- 5 Ingredient Cilantro Lime Chicken and Brown Rice Skillet
- Slightly Sweet Skillet Cornbread
- 5 Ingredient blueberry skillet dump cake – you can’t forget about dessert!
This 5 ingredient chicken sausage and leek skillet meal is made with 5 simple ingredients: chicken sausage, leek, white beans, butter and parsley. Leeks remind me of a slightly milder version of an onion, so if you don’t have a leek, feel free to use an onion!
Whenever you’re looking for a budget friendly dinner, this 5 ingredient chicken sausage and leek skillet should be at the top of your list!
- 1 tablespoon butter (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 large leek, well cleaned and sliced
- 1 package (12 oz.) chicken sausage, sausages cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 can (15 oz.) white beans, such as cannelloni beans, drained
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 handful chopped parsley (optional)
- In a large skillet or frying pan over high heat melt butter and add leeks, cook for 3-5 minutes, until starting to soften and turn translucent.
- Add the chicken sausage and white beans to the skillet and add a pinch of salt, cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken sausage is cooked through and starts to turn brown.
- Sprinkle parsley over skillet, divide and serve.
Serving Size:1/4 skillet
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 35mg Sodium: 346mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 1g Protein: 18g
Sign up for email updates and get a free eCookbook with our top 25 recipes!