On this weeks Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m letting you in on what we got the kids for Easter, plus you’ll get to see our family’s favorite Easter decoration and hear the story behind it!
Wishing you a happy Easter!! Hopefully filled with lots of delicious bunny pancakes. This past weekend I got out a few Easter decorations I had while the kids were napping, and as soon as they woke up, they noticed!
Frankie lined the bunnies up and it was the cutest thing ever, and then Ben wanted me to take their picture of each of them holding a bunny. It was such a sweet moment and really had me looking forward to the holiday.
Also, please enjoy this picture of Ben 2 years ago with the Easter Bunny (LOL!) I think he’s over his fear, because he asked me if he would get a chance to talk to the Easter Bunny, because he didn’t get a chance to talk to Santa.
A week full of great new posts!
- Oven roasted balsamic tomatoes – only 5 ingredients and so super yummy!
- Weekly meal plan – the easiest way to meal plan, complete with a grocery list
- Avocado toast with hard-boiled eggs and roasted tomatoes –
- Chocolate chip waffles with strawberry cream cheese sauce – this recipe uses my eggless waffles as a base and upgrades them to be even more delicious.
- Love List – weekly favorites from around the web.
- Carrot cake coffee cake – I refreshed this recipe a bit just in time for Easter!
What I Made:
- This week it was all about the sheet pan means for me. Balsamic turkey meatloaves with sweet potato fries and green beans and honey chicken with potatoes and broccoli
- I always use my favorite sheet pan set (the Gold Touch ones by William Sonoma are the best ever. I actually threw out my old rusting sheet pans this year and bought 3 of the William Sonoma ones.)
- One of the things I’m looking forward to most is making this carrot cake coffee cake (Easter is a great excuse, but really, this coffee cake is incredible…it’s got a layer of carrot cake, a layer of cheese cake, and a crumble layer).
- I’m actually looking forward to having some leftover hard boiled eggs from Easter, because I’m going to be making classic egg salad and then egg salad sandwiches with bacon (this post also includes ideas for what to do with leftover hard boiled eggs.
- Let me also make the case for this spinach salad and adding your leftover hard boiled eggs to it instead of using soft boiled eggs for it.
‘Tis the season for eggs and I love my Dad’s scrambled eggs recipe. Thanks to this reader for their comment on my recipe!
- Just made this for breakfast! Thank you for taking the time to share your story and dad’s recipe!
These slow cooker hot cross bun cinnamon rolls are a great option for an easy Easter brunch item. And check out the great-looking re-creation from one of my readers.
- Over the sink drying rack!! This thing is such a good alternative to those bulky ones and since I always have paper towels on the side of my sink as a drying rack because I don’t want to get the bulky one out, this is a great solution !!
New books I’m reading this month:
- Behind Closed Doors – I cannot stop listening to this! It’s so good!
- I forgot to mention that I stayed up WAY too late to finish this sweet romance book Yes, and I Love You. I used to hate series books, but honestly cannot wait for the second book in this series to come out!
- More Than Enough: Claiming Space For Who You Are (No Matter What They Say) by Elaine Welteroth – This book has over 1600 5 star reviews and it matches all the recommendations I’ve heard, cannot wait, just downloaded it.
- The Kindest Lie – An anticipated book on my list that just came out- and a beautiful endorsement from one of my favorite authors “a deep dive into how we define family, what it means to be a mother, and what it means to grow up Black…beautifully crafted.” (Jodi Picoult)
Cookbook of the week:
- Food Swings-125 + recipes to enjoy your virtues and vices -I absolutely love this cookbook and have mentioned it before- like when I shared this chocolate cake recipe, which is the best chocolate layer cake you’ll ever make!!! This week I’m going to be making a mustard chicken recipe from the book and quinoa muffins.
- Family dinner for the first time in over a year. For the first time in over a year, we had a family dinner at my in-laws. It was so nice and something that has been missed. The kids ate SO much (so did I…my in-laws are good cooks!) We ended up staying a little past the kids’ bedtimes. Frankie got tired and lethargic and ready for bed, whereas Freddie…well, let’s just say that Nick said “If you told me he ate a bag of sugar, I would believe you.” Lol.
- Daubers – I think I’ve mentioned before, but daubers – especially the washable ones – are so fun for craft time. The kids all love them, and they’re just a really neat art medium. Plus…they make me think of Bingo – so they can also be used for adults 🙂
- Easter Egg – The best Easter decoration we have is this wooden Easter egg which Nick made in cub scouts. As I was looking through photos, I realized have a few from previous years of Ben in front of it – now Ben and the twins!
- This salad with candied seeds is my go to salad!
- Watch: Waffles + Mochi – it’s a super cute Netflix show where Michelle Obama teaches kids about fruits and vegetables. Lots of famous faces and very cute.
- Read: The Apple of my Pie is such a cute and sweet board book for kids!
- We drove by a house and literally stopped and took a picture to remember to buy this for our kids. It’s their Easter present, I mean, how cool is this!?