Ask and you shall receive! You guys have been loving my Mom Essentials posts, but I was asked for more about things I use for my kids/family in general. So, I thought I’d share my favorite Family Essentials – Summer Edition! These are all the best family items for summer I have come across and things we love or things that are on my wish list, hope you enjoy.
- There are endless options of sunglasses out there, but these are my latest favorites! The most important thing to me is that the glasses are polarized. As a teenager, I would just buy any cute sunglasses that I would find. Little did I know, none of those were actually protecting my eyes or helping me see in any way!
- Ben got his first pair of sunglasses this year and is obsessed. He wears them around the house all of the time. These are our favorite sunglasses for kids. They come in so many great flavor combinations and are so affordable. But best of all, they are polarized AND unbreakable! What more could you ask for in sunglasses for kids?
- Every summer this mom has a catch all bag. It probably has a water bottle, sunscreen, a diaper and a million other things in it at any given moment, ready to head out the door.
- This bag is perfect because it comes in a ton of fun summer patterns and has a zipper closure, so all of your million things don’t come tumbling out all over the beach when you’re chasing after a kiddo! Plus, for this price, you can even treat yourself to two!
- When I first had kids, I was so overwhelmed by the options for sunscreen. Is it safe? Will it work? Is there some hidden toxic ingredient? Well, I love using Aveeno products for myself, so I tried their baby sunscreen and love it! It is still by go-to sunscreen for all of the kids and I don’t see that changing anytime soon!
- In the picture above Ben has sun screen all over his little face ready to go outside.
- We spend a lot of time in our backyard during the summer months and on a sunny day, I always want to be sure there is a shady place for the kids to take a break. We use this little summer tent, that is also perfect if we want to back up and head to the beach.
But, I’ve gotta tell you that I am keeping my eye on this adorable umbrella and table set for the kids!
- Summer shoes for the whole family are a must-have! You have likely heard about my obsession with Birkenstocks. I prefer the flip flop ones, but have also purchased a waterproof pair for this summer. Birkenstocks are just the most comfortable any day shoe.
- Nick likes a pretty basic flip flop for summer. That way he can quickly put them on to head out the door for a family walk or playing in the back yard. Reef sandals are super comfortable and these ones are manly looking, while still looking nice and able to go with any outfit. As if Nick cares, lol!
- Ben has KEEN sandals. They are pricey, but they’re unisex and are super sturdy. Plus, if your kids go to daycare, these are absolutely the best summer shoes because a lot of daycares don’t allow open toed sandals if kids are out on the playground.
For the twins, my friend introduced me to Native shoes. I love them for quite a few reasons:
- They come in so many fun colors!
- They are breathable – perfect for the hot weather
- They are waterproof.
- I think I’ve mentioned this before, but we love Hanna Andersson in our family. I buy their pajamas for the kids all the time, but their swimwear is so great!
- They come in a variety of styles and super fun patterns and color; I especially love this watermelon one! Oh and the zip-up style is my absolute favorite because it is so much easier to get on and off and provides great coverage.
- There are endless options for amazing kids pools and splash pads, but this one is our favorite. It’s a great size for the backyard and easy to set up for the kids to all enjoy.
- I couldn’t help but share a few favorite summer recipes for the family:
- Watermelon salsa – summery and fresh, so addicting!
- Easy cucumber salad – a nice easy cold appetizer salad
- The best tortellini pasta salad – only 5 ingredients and you’re set with this easy tortellini pasta salad, it’s such a great summer side dish
- Summer melon salad – one of (if not THE) best summer fruit salads I’ve ever had
- Grilled chicken green goddess cobb salad – we have this salad all the time during the summer!
- Chicken tacos with pineapple salsa – I love grilling chicken for these amazing tacos (the chicken can also be made stove top), the pineapple salsa makes it so summery
- Grilled turkey burgers – with green chiles and zucchini, very summery and delicious
- Summer roasted vegetable lasagna – this is an amazing way to enjoy all those farmers market veggies!
- White chocolate grape bites -great to have on hand for when guests come over, they’re so good!
- Easy dessert recipe with pie peaches – these can be a 5 ingredient no bake dessert, they can be made with peaches (or pie peaches) and are sooooo friggin good
- Refreshing cucumber melon spritzer – definitely a must-make refreshing drink – can be a mocktail or cocktail!
I would love to know what your summer must-haves are for the family? Any fun items I should add to the list?