There’s nothing better than a simple side salad that comes together in a flash, like with this easy cucumber salad recipe.
Because it is Friday, and on Friday’s I share a five ingredient recipe as part of my Five-Ingredient-Friday series, it’s no surprise to anyone that this is an easy five ingredient recipe. However, I didn’t title this post “5 ingredient cucumber salad” because there are so many variations you could do with this dish, I wanted to leave it open to interpretation.
The five ingredients I used for this recipe were cucumbers, sugar, rice wine vinegar, jalapenos and chopped cilantro. The ingredients mix super well together and you’re left with a wonderfully fresh cucumber dish! I’ve used parsley instead of cilantro, or chives, or basil or even a mix of fresh herbs. And I’ve used red wine vinegar in place of the rice wine vinegar, it’s really whatever you have on hand.
So I have a funny story for you with 5-ingredient recipes. As you may know by now, I love 5-ingredient recipes: simple recipes and ingredients turned into a dish to make something amazing (I even have a cookbook of 5 ingredient recipes!). The only things I don’t count as “ingredients” are salt, pepper, and water because chances are, you have those somewhere in your house. I consider those “free” ingredients. When I was out of the house one day, I got a call from my husband who was watching a cooking show on tv, and he was so animated on the phone telling me how this person was saying they were making 5-ingredient recipes, but their “free” ingredients were entire categories!! Categories! Like cooking fats: oils, butter, etc., seasonings: all herbs and dried seasonings, pantry staples: flour, sugar, etc. He joked, “honey, your recipes are zero ingredient recipes” LOL!
The herbs and jalapenos I used in this recipe are from my little garden bed (as seen above with Clover our dog being stoic). Since we moved, and I had a baby this summer, I got this raised garden bed with legs. Because this summer has been a little crazier than in the past, I didn’t plant as much- otherwise I would have planted cucumbers too, but those are in abundance at the farmers market.
I hope you enjoy this easy cucumber salad recipe, it’s really a great vegetable side dish!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Korean Beef BBQ Tacos with Quick Pickled Cucumbers
- 4 Ingredient Fancy Cucumber Sandwiches
- Refreshing Cucumber Melon Spritzer Drink Recipe
Quick Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 1 seedless cucumber chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs (cilantro parsley, basil or chives, or a combination of them
- Mix cucumbers and salt in a bowl, let sit for 15 minutes-30 minutes, then drain and pat dry with paper towel. Sprinkle with a dash of salt.
- Whisk together sugar and vinegar until the sugar dissolves, then add jalapenos and fresh herbs.
- Add cucumbers to a bowl and pour sauce over it and serve.