This slow cooker fire roasted tomato beef pot roast recipe is a wonderful family meal that has very little hands on cook time and is hearty and comforting. The pot roast, carrots and tomatoes cook in a tomato sauce – low and slow in a crockpot/slow cooker and you’re left with flavorful tender meat, carrots and potatoes – a meal the whole family will enjoy.
One of the things I love doing when cooking is finding an old recipe and refining it a bit to be even better. Or, taking the main components and just switching up small things. That’s just what I’ve done here!
Five years ago, I shared a recipe for a fire roasted tomato dinner roast – a beef roast my mother taught me to make. Today I’m sharing a much easier way to make the same tasty recipe. The only change you have to make is to get out your slow cooker so you can set it and forget it.
A reader commented on the original recipe asking if the dish could be made in a slow cooker/crockpot and I thought that was such a great idea, I had to test it out myself.
I am always looking for dinners that are hearty and easy to get on the table. And it’s a bonus if they don’t completely break the bank. This dinner hits the mark on all of those items.
Tomatoes are one of my favorite things to cook with because the possibilities are endless! When tomatoes are in-season, I love sharing 10 ways to use fresh tomatoes. I also absolutely love using canned tomatoes or tomato paste to make a delicious meal.
In my recipe for 5 ingredient green beans, beef and tomatoes, I use canned tomatoes and make a hearty dinner just like the one I’m telling you about today. To make the fire roasted tomato roast, follow a few simple steps:
- Chop veggies and put in slow cooker
- Cover veggies with a can of fire roasted tomatoes
- Add in beef
- Set it and forget it!
I could go on and on about how much I love slow cooker meals, but one of my favorite things is that they also work great as freezer meals. You could simply prep all of these ingredients ahead of time, put them in a zipper bag in the freezer and when you’re ready to eat it, simply drop it in the slow cooker and let it cook!
This slow cooker fire roasted tomato beef roast with carrots and potatoes is sure to become a favorite dish, and you’re going to love how easy it is to make!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- 5 Ingredient Crock Pot Pork Roast and Potatoes Recipe
- Oven Baked Pork Roast
- How to make the perfect pot roast
Slow cooker Fire Roasted Tomato Roast
- 3-5 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs small red or yellow potatoes rinsed
- 1-2 lbs carrots ends removed, cut into large chunks
- 1 red onion roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large can 28oz fire roasted crushed tomatoes (or diced tomatoes)
- 1 cup beef stock or water
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning dried oregano, parsley, thyme and rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 bay leaves optional
- Add beef chuck roast to a 6qt slow cooker. Pour olive oil on top of roast.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and onions slices to the slow cooker. Spoon tomato paste over the vegetables, then pour entire can of fire roasted tomatoes and water over vegetables.
- Sprinkle in the Italian seasoning and garlic salt. Place the bay leaves around the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaves, cut the roast and enjoy!
This looks so hearty and delicious! I think i will make this next
I’d love to know how you like it – it’s always been a favorite of mine!