Warm, delicious, and comforting, this slow cooker beef and sweet potato stew should definitely be included on your weekly meal plan!
When I shared the meal prep that I was doing for the week ahead (one recipe of which was the chicken stir fry soba noodles bowls) something cool happened – I received a ton of requests for the recipe! I have never received so many inquiries about the a recipe I was making behind the scenes as I did for this one (I was sharing on Instagram, @philiakelnhofer), this slow cooker beef and sweet potato soup, you guys wanted (demanded in some cases, lol) the recipe. And I’m here to oblige!
[Tag me on Instagram if you make this Slow Cooker Beef and Sweet Potato Stew!]
Soups and stews are so awesome in the winter, they’re warm and comforting – they’re pretty much all-around fantastic!
This recipe accidentally came together. I was making this 5 ingredient green beans and beef, but then wanted to bulk it up with some veggies to make it more of a meal (I was too lazy to make a side dish and wanted a meal that could be made in the slow cooker). I added in a chopped up bell pepper and sweet potato, and wouldn’t you know it, it came together in an amazing stew. Over the holidays when I visited my parents I was telling my mom how much I was in love with cinnamon, and she gave me this awesome mason jar full of it – how cool is that? I totally encourage you to use it as a seasoning in this slow cooker recipe, it really goes well with the beef and sweet potatoes (and don’t worry, it’s not ‘dessert-like’ at all).
It’s hearty enough as a stew to be served as a meal, and it is a healthy one at that, coming in at around 327 calories per serving.
Also, last week I posted two chicken recipes (these chicken stir fry soba noodle bowls and this 5 ingredient chicken and sweet potatoes) so I should really have dubbed it ‘chicken week’. This week I’m posting a slow cooker recipe today, and can you guess what I’m planning on posting on Friday? Hint: it may or may not involve a slow cooker, and another hint, it may or may not include 5 ingredients – stay tuned!
I have been loving using my slow cooker on the weekends. This is the slow cooker (crockpot) that I use. Slow cookers are really great for making meals that I can make ahead for my husband and I to take for lunch throughout the week. What I’ve found has been working for me in the meal planning department is making 2-3 bigger meals on the weekend and then divvying them up. I also like to make ahead a snack (like these oatmeal cookie energy bites or these granola bars). I also keep a list of 3-4 dinner ideas with ingredients I have in the house, that way I can just look over at the list and have ideas of what I’m going to make for dinner.
When you’re in need of a fantastic stew, make this beef and sweet potato one, it will not disappoint.
A tip for this recipe is to use a fattier cut of beef so that the beef doesn’t dry out. Think a cut up roast or stew meat vs. a tenderloin or leaner cut.
How to use beef in other recipes:
- 5 Ingredient Cheesy Beef and Egg Noodle Casserole
- Spicy Roast Beed Sliders
- 5 Ingredient Mexican Shredded Beef and Beef Tostadas
Slow Cooker Beef and Sweet Potato Stew
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 lb beef stew meat*
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (or you could use 1 sweet potato and 1 regular potato)
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 bag 1lb frozen green beans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala optional
- 2 cans 14.5 oz. each of crushed tomatoes (I like using fire roasted crushed tomatoes)
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- handful of chopped parsley
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat melt butter and saute onions for 5 minutes, add in the crushed garlic clove and cook for an additional 2 minutes, then remove from heat and transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the beef, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, and green beans into the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the seasonings into the slow cooker and pour in the crushed tomatoes. Stir once or twice, then set the slow cooker to low and cook for 6-8 hours (I stirred it about twice during cooking, but that is not necessary, you can just 'set it and forget it'). Check your slow cooker around 6 hrs if you have a slow cooker that cooks faster than others.
- To serve divide into four bowls and add a dollop of plain yogurt on top and sprinkle with fresh parsley and enjoy.
Here is a picture of the my meal prep for the week – I made 1 recipe of chicken stir fry soba noodle bowls, and then 1 recipe of this slow cooker beef and sweet potato stew and packed the yogurt and parsley in separate containers (speaking of which, I’m loving these little twist n lock containers lately)
Disclaimer: some of the above links are affiliate links, if you purchase amazon products through my store at no cost to you, I will earn a few pennies. As always, all opinions are my own and thank you for supporting the brands and products I love that make the Sweetphi blog possible.