Enjoy this 5 ingredient squash and burrata salad for a delicious recipe that perfectly combines roasted squash with creamy burrata cheese, and is finished off with a crunch from hazelnuts.Earlier this year when I posted my guide for a relaxing weekend in Milwaukee I shared how there was this salad I had at a restaurant that I could not wait to recreate at home, because it was so delicious. And that is exactly what I did with this salad, and if I do say so myself: it’s incredible!
In the process of making this salad, I was surprised to find that it only required 5 ingredients: acorn squash, maple syrup, brown sugar, burrata and hazelnuts, perfect for this week’s Five Ingredient Friday.
As I mentioned in this girls getaway guide to Charlotte my first time having burrata cheese was only last year! I’m making up for lost time by ordering it whenever I see it on a menu now. If you’re unsure what Burrata is, it’s a fresh Italian cheese made from mozzarella and cream. It’s shaped like a ball and the outer shell is solid mozzarella, while the inside contains stracciatella and cream, giving it an unusual, soft texture, and it’s really good on salads of all kinds.
When I was buying the ingredients to make this squash and burrata salad recipe, burrata had sold out in the cheese section of my grocery store…three weeks in a row! It just so happened to be that I was at Trader Joes picking up a few things, and as I was walking by the cheese section I saw burrata out of the corner of my eye so I grabbed it!
With the burrata secured I made this 5 ingredient squash and burrata salad with toasted hazelnuts and was so in love with the salad, that the first time recipe testing it I ate the whole thing before even stopping to take pictures of it lol. It’s THAT good.
The squash and hazelnuts for this salad can be roasted ahead of time, and the salad can be served warm or cold. You can also opt to peel the acorn squash before serving.
I was going to say that this salad is great for the end of summer/early fall, but really, this squash and burrata salad is great at any time of year!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
5 Ingredient Squash Burrata Salad Recipe
- 1 acorn squash seeds removed and cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts chopped
- 8 oz burrata
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Use a nonstick baking sheet, or line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Cut squash into wedges and put in a large bowl, add maple syrup and toss, then sprinkle in brown sugar and stir so that the brown sugar lightly coats the squash.
- Arrange the squash onto a baking sheet and spoon any remaining maple syrup from the bowl on top of the squash. Bake for 20 minutes (flip after 10 minutes). Add the hazelnuts to the baking sheet when there are 5 minutes of baking time left. Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes.
- Arrange squash and hazelnuts on two plates or shallow bowls, add burrata ball to each dish, sprinkle a pinch of salt over burrata and squash and serve.
[…] 5 Ingredient squash burrata salad – this salad is beautiful and delicious, so we’ll call it a win-win! […]