On this week’s Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I am sharing some big, exciting news in case you haven’t heard yet! Plus, I’m also sharing a few great things to grill as we head into summer and, as always, fun with outside playtime and daubers with the kids!
This week I’m sharing some exciting news – I’m pregnant with baby #4! I can’t believe our family is growing by one (due on Thanksgiving!); definitely feeling grateful. I’m also currently feeling very sick. If you’d like to read more about the whole story and how we felt there was room for one more, I wrote a long blog post about it here.
Sharing the latest posts up on Sweetphi.com!
- Grilled bread – super easy and a great side for any grilled dish.
- Weekly meal plan – don’t forget, each meal plan comes with a complete grocery list!
- Pregnancy announcement – in case you missed it above
- Love List – our weekly finds of great things around the web.
- Grilled citrus chicken drumsticks – the perfect recipe to kick off summer
- The kids and I made my recipe for cranberry walnut crumb dessert bars with some modifications. We didn’t have walnuts so we ended up making them more into jam crumb bars and used strawberries instead of cranberries to create a strawberry sauce/jam. It reminded me that I have a recipe for strawberry sauce that I now want to make all summer long!
- These mini balsamic turkey meatloaves are sooo yummy – I just had cauliflower so I put those on the sheet pan and it was a great side (the recipe has sweet potato fries and green beans as part of the meal – any veggies on the side are great because they get roasted).
- Grilled sweet potatoes!!!! Last summer I talked about these a lot later in the season, but they really are incredible. Nick, who doesn’t even like sweet potatoes, says he loves them grilled and is always so surprised how good they turn out.
What to make:
Along with our grilled sweet potatoes we made corn and burgers, reminded me of last summer when we did grill meal prep weekly!
It’s always helpful to have a great, homemade salad dressing recipe on-hand and this vinaigrette dressing is my go-to.
- “Love that dressing use it all the time, sometimes things that are so simple and plain, turn out to be the best.”
I love seeing people recreate seafood recipes – doesn’t this sesame salmon rice bowl look delicious?!
- Ok – two weeks ago I mentioned these foot masks. The instructions said it would take 3-7 days for feet to peel. I didn’t think they had worked because my feet weren’t peeling. Day 5 after using them (you have to sit there for an hr with them) my feet started peeling. So gross, but so amazing. These things actually work!
- I really enjoyed People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry! I couldn’t stop reading it. Super cute love story.
- Just downloaded Shipped by Angie Hockman – The Unhoneymooners meets The Hating Game in this witty, clever, and swoon-worthy novel following a workaholic marketing manager who is forced to go on a cruise with her arch-nemesis when they’re up for the same promotion. I liked both the books referenced in the intro, so here goes.
- I cooked out of Skinnytaste Meal Prep cookbook twice this week. These Thai shrimp cakes with a cucumber salad are on the menu for next week – they’re from the cookbook too. We made some chicken meatballs with couscous and some Argentinian pupusas (zucchini filled corn patties)- I served them with plain yogurt for the kids and tzatziki for the adults.
- I gave Freddie a haircut! He couldn’t see and it was getting caught in his clothes…still, sad to see crazy baby curls gone.
- We spent a lot of time outside and at the park. We had a little frog friend say hello to Frankie.
- We always play with craft daubers – the kids love them.
- Have you ever heard of Nori Furikake seasonings? We LOVE IT! Just make a piece of salmon, white rice, and sprinkle this seasoning on. So good.
- As Nick was grilling, the boys were running in the back part of our house which is wooded. They started climbing on a wood pile and he said ‘can you please get off the wood pile’ and had to say it them a few times, then turned and said he felt like Will Farrell with ‘get off the shed’. I had no idea what he was talking about, so then he showed me this clip and I couldn’t stop laughing.
- We got a grill basket as a wedding gift a decade ago and we still use it every summer. I just saw this stainless steel outdoor fry pan and I’m adding it to my list.
I’d love to hear from you – what are you grilling this summer? Just leave a comment below and let me know.