This crispy chickpea shawarma pita recipe is the best way to make a vegetarian dinner that even any meat lover would love! And these crispy chickpeas can be made via an air fryer for a vegetarian air fryer recipe or via stoptop!
The star of this recipe are the chickpeas. But they aren’t just any old chickpeas; the shawarma spice mixture is what makes them so special and is a crucial part of the dish.
What ingredients do you need for the shawarma spice mixture?
- All spice
- Smoked paprika
- Chili powder
- Salt and pepper
Once you’ve spiced up the chickpeas, they can be made in an air fryer or pan fried and are super crispy! These crispy shawarma chickpeas are served with a yogurt garlic sauce (or tzatziki) on pitas with tomatoes and cucumbers. Yum!
How do I make this vegetarian recipe?
To make in an Air Fryer
In a bowl coat chickpeas with flour, and then add all the other spices.
Spray air fryer basket, put chickpeas in the air fryer and spray again with cooking spray.
Cook in the Air Fryer at 375 for 12 mins; shaking the basket every 4 minutes.
To make on the stove top
- In a bowl coat chickpeas with flour, and then add all the other spices.
Heat 1/4 inch vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Heat until a pinch of flour sizzles in the oil.
Fry the chickpeas, covered. Uncover twice to gently stir, cook until crispy (about 5-8 minutes).
Remove chickpeas with slotted spoon and put on a paper towel lined plate.
While the chickpeas are cooking, prep your other ingredients.
Then assemble the chickpea shawarma!
- Spread tzatziki on a pita. I like to make my own using this recipe.
- Add chopped cucumber, tomato(I like adding salt to the tomato slices) and 1/4 of the crispy chickpeas.
After enjoying this crispy chickpea shawarma pita recipe, I am seriously considering giving up meat all together and becoming a vegetarian. Ok ok, just kidding about that!
Crispy Chickpea Shawarma Pita Recipe
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. flour
- 1/2 tsp. all spice
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Cooking spray or vegetable oil
To assemble the pitas
- 4 Pitas I like using mini naan
- 1 Tomato sliced and sprinkled with salt
- 1 seedless cucumber chopped
- 1/2 cup Tzatziki store bought of homemade
- In a bowl coat chickpeas with flour, and then add all the other spices. Stir to combine well.
To make in an Air Fryer
- Spray basket, put chickpeas in air fryer and spray again with cooking spray
- Cook in air fryer at 375 for 12 mins, shaking the basket every 4 minutes.
To make on the stovetop
- Heat 1/4 inch vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, heat until a pinch of flour sizzles in the oil. Fry the chickpeas, covered.
- Uncover twice to gently stir, cook until crispy (about 5-8 minutes)
- Remove chickpeas with slotted spoon and put on a paper towel lined plate.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, prep your other ingredients.
- Lightly toast your pita
- Spreading tzatziki and add chopped cucumber and tomato and a 1/4 of the chickpeas.
Sounds delicious & unique.
It’s so yummy for an easy dinner!
Daniel Perkins says
Great recipe. I tried it with slight modification in spices and it came out fabulous.
So happy to hear you loved this!