This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I learned something *shocking* about Nick (after almost a decade of being together)! Plus, I’m sharing a whole lot of what we cooked this past week. The kids helped a ton in the kitchen, which I always love.
Ever find out something shocking about your significant other that really surprised you?
I was talking to my oldest son(Ben) that it was dad’s (Nick’s) birthday the next day, and he said he wanted to make him a cake. I told him to go ask Nick what his favorite flavor of cake was.
Nick looked over at me and said “whatever is easiest, I DON’T LIKE CAKE”
WHAT?!? How have we been together for OVER A DECADE and this is the first I’m hearing he doesn’t love cake?
Now that I think back though, it’s so true, Nick has always preferred other desserts. His favorite being this peanut butter freezer pie or he loves banana desserts (there’s a banana cream pie recipe he just loves in my cookbook)
So Ben made him banana muffins and we made a peanut butter frosting I made up, but so good I have to share the recipe (1.5 tbs peanut butter, 2 tbs butter at room temp, dash of vanilla extract, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tbs whole milk-beat together until fluffy, recipe easily doubles for thicker frosting!)
Some other delicious birthday inspiration:
- Homemade chocolate birthday cake with frosting – a classic cake that everyone loves
- Maple syrup cake – a subtle maple flavors makes this cake so special and especially great for fall birthdays
- This is the meal Nick requested: a fun twist on traditional pork.
- This is the dip requested: seriously so good!
Sharing the latest posts up on Sweetphi.com
- Fresh n’ Lean meal delivery – you know I love meal delivery and Fresh n’ Lean is no exception. Easy and convenient!
- Weekly meal plan – check it out for easy meal planning and grocery list
- Back to school supply list – I’m sharing an awesome tip for back to school shopping in this post!
- Baked chicken and vegetables – A great family meal on a summer night
- Love List – fun finds from around the web
- Beef burritos with zucchini – these are the perfect meal prep recipe and great for new Moms (eating with only one hand)
We had my parents over, so we made a delicious lunch, complete with tomahawk steaks! Here was the menu:
- Tomato cucumber salad – Frankie learned how to use a Kid Safe Knife
- Herb butter – super easy to make and an upgrade to any meal
- Tomato rosemary focaccia – I love making this with fresh garden tomatoes
- Green goddess dip – use it as a dip or a dressing. Great both ways.
- Perfectly roasted potatoes – I could seriously eat an entire bowl of these!
- Plates from William Sonoma – I love having an occasion to use these beautiful plates!
I love this chicken and vegetable dinner dish so I’m happy to share this reader comment:
- “I was needing a new dish for dinner and had all the ingredients but didn’t know what to make. I googled recipes for chicken and vegetables in the oven and came across your dish. I’ve made it twice now and it’s delicious, my family and I love it!! I also love the video, I watch it while I’m prepping/cooking to make sure it comes out right and it helps. Thank you.”
- A beautiful re-creation of my blueberry dump cake:
- In this week’s Love List, I shared this super simple jewelry cleaner that’s super affordable. I can’t wait to make my jewelry shine again!
- Currently reading the romance book The Roommate which a friend recommended-it’s on the steamier side!
- On my reading list is one I just heard about Seven Days in June AND it’s a Reese’s Book Club pick.
- I got the best compliment this weekend, my dad said he read this section and got Malibu Rising for my mom, and she’s loving it, HOW SWEET IS THAT!? Needless to say I love reading and talking about books with you – if you ever have a must read, please let me know, just hit reply!!
- Lake Vista Park – my sister in law found this neat park she told us about in Oak Creek called Lake Vista Park, it was so beautiful and nice. On the way we had picked up some breakfast at Starbucks (muffins and an oatmeal and it was perfect for a light breakfast at the park!)
- Cafe Corazon – we happened to be in the Bay View area around lunchtime so we stopped to get lunch at Cafe Corazon and wow – it was DELISH! Nick got the best burrito and I got amazing tacos!
- Bird feeder – the library gives out these cool craft kits for kids, and we made a homemade bird feeder. It’s very homemade, but I want to get a real one, like this.
- Making these energy balls without dates on repeat for a nice snack to have in the fridge!
- Last week I mentioned my excitement over Ted Lasso being back. WELL, after the latest episode, we saw a preview for a new show called Schmigadoon! and we watched it, SO GOOD!!! Now you definitely have a reason to get Apple + (or just wait until the end of the season and binge with a 7 day free trial, lol).
- As Ben was having a snack out of his YumBox, he saw we had another light blue one for Freddie and then said we need to get a purple one for Frankie”, so I’m off to purchase a purple one – (I use these when the kids aren’t using them too btw, they’re awesome and clean easily).
Have you ever found out something shocking you didn’t know about your partner? Just leave a comment below and let me know, I love hearing from you!!