This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m sharing a fun new thing I’ll be doing on the SweetPhi Facebook page, some great recipes for when there is no time to cook, a sneak peak at more family photos and the twins 11 month pictures!
One afternoon after Ben had been so good and sweet all day, he and I made some of my whole wheat honey oat flax bread (I just needed a break from sourdough and active dry yeast bread is so much more predictable!) and while the dough was rising, we went upstairs and were laying in bed.
He snuggled in and we watched a show on TV. I said “this is the life” – it was such a sweet moment.
The next day we were walking by the TV room and he pulled my hand and said “mama lets do this is the life.“
So so sweet!
New on the Blog:
My absolute favorite recipe of the week was found on the back of a bag!
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers – an update on life in quarantine with our family of five!
- Back of the Bag Ghiradelli Brownies – seriously the BEST brownies I’ve ever had!
What to Make:
With things being so crazy, we’re generally making foods that don’t require cooking because who’s got the time these days!?
- Ham & Swiss sandwich with maple mustard mayo – the mayo makes all the difference!
- Tuna salad with pickled celery – adding pickled celery takes tuna salad to the next level.
- Tortellini Pasta Salad – only 5 ingredients and perfect for summer!
- Chicken Salad – another 5 ingredient recipe that we eat on repeat.
What I’ve Been Making:
- I had some cranberries that needed to be used in the freezer and I couldn’t decide what to make. So, I asked Insta to decide; cranberry bars or chocolate chip cookies – 65% said cranberry bars so that’s what I made. Let me tell you, they were so so so good!
- We made pancakes from my 5 ingredient cookbook and I made some into a mouse for Ben. He loved it 🙂
This comment made me smile ear to ear. Always love to hear from you about recipes you’ve made and loved! Try the tacos for yourself, with the recipe here.
- “Hi! I just wanted to tell you that I made your pineapple chicken tacos last week and my boyfriend said they are his FAVORITE tacos he’s ever had. We both love them and I’m adding this to our rotation. Planning to buy your book soon. Thank you for sharing! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes.”
This scallion pancake that a reader made this week looks so yummy! You can find the recipe in this post.
Oh and I’m so happy to see quite a few people still making my salted honey iced latte – we must all be needing a little extra caffeine these days!
Links from Around the Web:
- This is my absolute fave planner! I have gotten this planner 3 years in a row. Their 2021 calendar is out!!! It actually starts in August, which is why I’m buying it so early.
- This article was really refreshing to read.
- I’ve had this Hamilton Beach Indoor Grill for about 5 years and every time I use it, I’m surprised how good it works!! It was gloomy out and I really wanted grilled food so I got it out and yum!!
- We tried electric toothbrushes for the first time. They clean very well, but they’re insanely powerful, it’s like your whole head vibrates. For night time, great, but in the morning it’s a no go. So we just use them at night. I will say that your teeth feel super clean afterwards!
What I’m Reading:
- Currently reading Oona Out of Order. It’s good, but I haven’t had enough time to really get into it because I’ve been extremely busy, and I just want to know what happens already. I can feel myself getting a little impatient. And the plot makes sense but doesn’t fully make sense to me yet.
- My reading list currently looks like this:
- Ben is reading ‘Dragons Love Tacos‘ over and over…only thing is now whenever he hears the word ‘salsa’ he says it’s going to make smoke come out his mouth (which is what happens if dragons have spicy tacos), lol.
What I’m Watching:
- I haven’t had a lot of TV time, but I did finally watched McMillions! OMG, it was so fascinating, so good!!
- Someone stop time? The twins are 11 months old!!!!! I cannot believe it! I mean, I can because they’re growing so quickly in front of my eyes. But wowza. The monthly photos are definitely not easy now that they’re moving so much. By the end, Nick and I are both sweating and just end up saying “good enough” – lol!
- I think we passed the last frost here in WI so Ben and I planted seeds into our little garden we’re growing
- We have reached the stage where we have to take off the twins’ clothes when they eat, it’s so so messy. And what are they eating? EVERYTHING! I even gave them some black beans covered in a very flavorful sauce with a bunch of seasonings they’d never had and they just ate them right up!
- We are spending a lot of time outside! Some days, I take them in the yard in their pjs. This is a no judgement zone that they’re still in pjs, lol. At least we’re all getting some fresh air!
- We got some more family photos back and I am loving them!
- I heard about Laderach chocolates somewhere, I can’t remember where, I think it was on Instagram from another blogger? Maybe? Anyway they’re so so much better than Godiva. They’re expensive, but wowza, so good.
- My sister in law got Ben a little caterpillar turning into butterflies kit – these are live bugs, not toys! Ben was scared of them at first, now he watches them (and boy are they growing) and he says he’s not scared of them anymore because ‘they’re nice guys’ lol
- We went to drop off something at a friends house and Ben spotted a train and made me pull over so we could watch it.
- We’ve been trying to keep Ben occupied, otherwise he starts going stir crazy. So Nick made little robots with Ben; they’re too cute. Cardboard and aluminum foil.
- Then I was trying to teach him about rain so we made a ‘rain jar’ where we saw how much water it took before it started ‘raining’ through the jar.
- The first time it was really nice and warm outside, Ben wanted us to get out his water table thing (I don’t have the exact link because someone gifted to us, but it’s a lot like this one. This was such a great gift!) and then he got wet and insisted on taking off his clothes, lol. Then he saw his mini pool and insisted on getting geared up in full swimsuit and floaties and sun glasses….please note this is all before the pool had any water in it. 15 minutes later and he was a happy kid splashing!
Did you know?
- I post all kinds of recipes on the SweetPhi facebook page and I would love for YOU to be a part of that. I want to see the Facebook page be a community where people can talk about what recipes they’re making, what you’re cooking etc. So, hop on over to SweetPhi’s Facebook page and let everyone know what you’ve been making in the kitchen these days!
Popular This Week
- Most visited blog post: one of my favorite Spring treats – lemon loaf
- Most liked Instagram post: This sweet moment of Ben showing the twins a leaf
- Most pinned image: the tastiest brownies around!
- Most viewed YouTube video: one of my favorite salad recipes.
- Most purchased item – this non stick grill fry pan. It’s beyond amazing. I have two and use it to make balsamic veggies or grilled broccoli all the time!
>>Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube page – we’re adding new recipe videos weekly!<<
Do you have a garden? Are you gardening? What are you planting? Any tips? Leave a comment below and let me know!