This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m sharing some ideas for what to cook on Memorial Day and during quarantine (banana bread included), I’m wrapping up my sourdough journey and showing you some of my at-home school pictures of the kids!
I keep hearing everyone making banana bread, it’s definitely having a moment. Have you made some? Any must-make recipes?
We’ve made plenty of banana recipes lately – a couple of our family faves are below:
- Easiest banana bread muffins
- Sourdough banana bread. In case you want to make your own, the recipe is right here:
- 2 bananas (very ripe and mashed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 – 1 cup sourdough starter discard
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 5 tbs oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- Simply combine ingredients, put in a bread pan and bake at 350 for 50 minutes (or until done).
Above: babies enjoying banana bread
New on the Blog:
I’ve been busy on the blog this past week and I’m excited to share the latest posts!
- How to Host a Virtual Dinner Party – a creative way to connect as we’re getting through this odd time
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers – weekly update on our life
- Homemade BBQ Sauce – perfect for a Father’s Day gift!
- Zero Waste Sourdough Starter – wrapping up my sourdough journey
- Pork Seasoning Mix – so good on grilled, baked, or pan fried pork chops!
What to Make:
Twice this week I was thankful I had a chicken broccoli alfredo casserole and sheet pan pizza in the freezer because it was just freezer meals that fed us! A few more of my favorite freezer meals are below:
You guys, with this quarantine still happening, I almost forgot it was Memorial Day on Monday! We aren’t doing any celebrating, but we will be grilling. If you are grilling out at home, I have some delicious recipes for you to try!
- Grilled Steak Chimichurri
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin
- Grilled Hot Chicken Sausage
- Grilled Balsamic Vegetables
- Grilled Broccoli
- Burger Seasoning
What I’ve Been Making:
- Unsurprisingly, we had more eggless waffles. Obviously, a very favorite in our house! Nick gave them to the kids while I was at work and sent me the below picture.
- I made a scallion pancake with sourdough starter discard and a fried egg – best thing I ate all week. You can find the recipe here.
You can also read about how I have a zero waste sourdough starter. I feel really good about this post and it was fun documenting growing a sourdough starter.
I love this comment on my Hungarian Goulash and am impressed about the creativity of using leftover pork – great idea!
- “I made this tonight with leftover pork roast and it was really good. My compliments to the writer of the recipe”
I love making fun coffee drinks at home and this Iced salted honey latte is one of my favorites, so I love that my readers are re-creating it at home!
Links from Around the Web:
- Got a box of Amazon brand gallon freezer bags because they were the cheapest option. And I love them. They are so great and there are so so many in the box!
- My hairstylist put together a super sweet IGTV about a braid I asked her about. I guess it’s called a Dutch Braid. And I love the way it looks! It helps hide all of the crazy hair growth/baby hairs I have after the birth of the twins.
What I’m Reading
- I did not want to stop reading The Happy Ever After Playlist and LOVED it! 5/5 stars! I actually want to re-read it because I know I was rushing to finish it; that’s a first for me!
- I texted my older sister that she should read it because I loved it so much, and she told me she was the one that recommended it. Ooops, so if you ever see a book on here that you recommended and I forget to thank you, please know it’s just my mom brain forgetting and please keep sending me awesome recommendations because I love them!
- Next up on my reading list:
What I’m Watching
- About Time on Netflix – it’s a 2013 movie and I’m shocked at how I’ve never seen or heard about it before, it was amazing!!!!
- I loved watching this live chat (I watched the recording) from Maria Shriver and her son Patrick with Esther Perel on relationships. I really enjoyed seeing the mother-son relationship between Maria and Patrick, and I enjoyed listening to the different relationship advice; it was just a nice short listen.
- Since the kids are not in school, there are no school pictures… so I took them. And I lol, I found the same shirt Ben wore for his two years ago…so everyone has a picture in that shirt.
- I am propagating my own green onions! I loved this tutorial on how to regrow green onions – and it worked!
- Ben’s grandmother dropped off an art project from the library – a little fish tank he got to make. It was so cute. Why is it that art projects take all of 5 minutes to do and then toddlers lose interest? I wanted it to take an hour, lol.
- Ben’s grandmother also dropped off a blueberry muffin mix to make – it’s his favorite thing to make.
- We got curb side pick up from a local place called Birch and Butcher and it was so so good – maybe it was because I wasn’t cooking?
- We also got a meal recipe kit from Braise (another local restaurant that we love) and it was good – but their kits are definitely a lot of work and not a quick meal. Good, but labor intensive.
- A few random moments from throughout the week:
- Frankie is growing out of her PJs – her little toe is poking through, lol.
- Nick dressed the twins in Thing 1 and Thing 2 onesies.
- Ben really loved the sweet potato pancakes I made.
- The twins are so so messy when they eat. Imagine 3 times a day, 2 of them – it’s craziness! They’re also pulling themselves up and are getting into everything!
- It was finally nice outside so we hung out in the backyard. Nick and Ben were matching and we grilled, using my homemade BBQ sauce. It was so cute!
Did you know?
This is a new section of the newsletter meant to show you some of the fun aspects of SweetPhi.com that you may not know about!
- This week, did you know about this cool feature on the sidebar? This widget will pull the top 5 recipes in the category you’re in for the past 30 days for you to see some other stuff you might enjoy!
Popular This Week
- Most visited blog post: applesauce muffins
- Most liked Instagram post: this photo of me and the twins!
- Most pinned image: making a mimosa bar is the most popular pin this week
- Most viewed YouTube video: this easy dinner using fresh vegetables, potatoes and chicken.
- Most purchased item – this pizza wheel from Williams Sonoma – I actually need to get a new one too!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube page – we’re adding new recipe videos weekly!
We did front porch photos, here’s a little preview, cannot wait to see the rest/share them with you:
How are you doing? Just leave a comment below and let me know!