This grilled citrus chicken drumsticks recipe is the best way to kick off grilling season and a summer full of delicious recipes. Chicken is grilled after marinating is a delicious citrus (lemon, lime, and orange) marinade.
I had no idea just how affordable chicken drumsticks are! I mean, we’re talking like $2 per pound. With that price, I just might make these drumsticks every day.
But, don’t worry, if you don’t have drumsticks on hand, you can use any type of chicken you prefer; drumsticks, thighs, or chicken breasts.
What ingredients do you need to make citrus chicken?
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Honey (or you can use maple syrup) – I love using a great local honey like this.
- Kosher salt
- Chicken drumsticks – if you want to use chicken breast or thighs, that’s ok too!
The real star of this recipe is the marinade. This particular fruit citrus chicken marinade has a really great flavor; it’s slightly sweet and citrusy and grills so well. You’ll get a great citrus flavor on the chicken and I think that is perfect for kicking off summer!
If you’re new to marinating meat, the basic rule of thumb is that if you want more flavor, marinade the meat longer! And, to help make the flavors pop, add a healthy sprinkle of salt once the chicken is on the grill. Salt always helps to enhance the flavor in any recipe.
We love citrus chicken so much that I actually created another sweet and spicy citrus chicken recipe that you can find here. And, the recipe only uses 5 ingredients! If you make both, I’d love to hear which you prefer (just leave a comment below)!
Grilling is really the best way to make this grilled citrus chicken drumsticks recipe, but I am also including oven-cooking instructions in case you don’t have access to a grill. Just be sure to take a peak at the recipe card below.
If you’re looking for what to serve with grilled chicken, here are some of my favorite side dishes:
- The best side salad
- Grilled broccoli side dish
- Balsamic grilled vegetables – a staple during the summer months, they go with everything
- Easy cucumber salad
- Slightly sweet skillet cornbread
- Slow cooker cheesy potatoes
- Red skin sour cream potato salad
Grilled Citrus Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- 2 oranges juiced (or 1/2 cup orange juice)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 Tbs. honey or maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt plus a generous pinch or two
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 2.5-3 lbs. chicken drumsticks about 8-10 drumsticks
- Combine all ingredients in a zip lock bag or in a large bowl; cover bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour or up to overnight. The longer you marinade, the stronger the flavors will be.
To make on the grill
- Heat grill to medium/high
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard extra marinade) and place on the grill. Sprinkle with a generous pinch or two or salt.
- Grill for 15 minutes, turning occasionally or until internal temperature is 165 for chicken.
To make in the oven
- Bake at 375 on a parchment paper rimmed baking sheet for 40 minutes, flipping halfway.