Aren’t we all trying to eat healthier, like ALL THE TIME?! I know I am. I’ve become a big fan of salads in a jar. Especially this amazing Greek chickpea salad in a jar – it’s a healthy vegetarian protein heavy lunch that’s truly delicious!
With convenient easy lunches like this I can whip up a bunch of different options, put them in a mason jar and store them in the fridge. They are so simple to grab on the way out the door to work. If I don’t have a pre-prepared lunch, I always find myself grabbing some carb-heavy lunch from a take out restaurant near my office.
A little while back, I wrote a post a little while back for a delicious pepperoni pasta salad in a jar. The pepperoni pasta salad is similar to my Greek chickpea salad, but the Greek salad is a vegetarian option, which is always nice. Also, if you are keeping an eye on your carbs, the Greek salad is pasta-free!
Both salads include chickpeas. I don’t know about you, but I love chickpeas. They are a sneaky food to help boost your metabolism and taste so yummy when included in salads. Also, always tasty in your fave hummus.
If your life isn’t quite as on-the-go as mine, this recipe (of course) doesn’t need to be made in a jar. I use the recipe a lot for a great side dish to bring along to parties. The salad usually serves as a welcome compliment to an otherwise heavy table of pot luck food.
Now, don’t get my wrong, I love my carbs! So, when I want to add a little more yummy to the side, I will bring along pita chips or even slightly toasted pita bread.
The steps to make this salad are so easy!
- get a large jar or salad container/bowl
- add dressing to the bottom of the jar
- pile in chickpeas and mix them in with the dressing a bit
- next are the feta and onions
- add tomatoes and lettuce
- when you’re ready to eat, shake and enjoy!
Do you make salads ahead of time for you? I’m definitely going to keep this up. I think I’ll take a few of my salads from the summer of smoothies and salads and adapt them for meal prep salads!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Easy Healthy Lunch Recipe- Pepperoni Pasta Salad in a Jar
- Baked BBQ Chicken and Avocado Salad
- Spinach Salad & Dressing Recipe
Greek Chickpea Salad in a Jar
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 ounce crumbled feta divided
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes divided
- 1/4 medium red onion chopped, divided
- 1 cup cucumber slices divided
- 3-4 cups lettuce divided
- For the dressing divided:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice about 1/4 of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In 2 jars or containers divide chickpeas.
- Make the dressing in a small bowl, divide and pour over the two containers containing chickpeas.
- Divide and layer the crumbled feta, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber slices and lettuce.
- To serve shake container or pour into a bowl.