Aren’t we all trying to eat healthier, like ALL THE TIME?! I know I am. I’ve become a big fan of salads in a jar. Especially this amazing Greek chickpea salad in a jar – it’s a healthy vegetarian protein heavy lunch that’s truly delicious!
With convenient easy lunches like this I can whip up a bunch of different options, put them in a mason jar and store them in the fridge. They are so simple to grab on the way out the door to work. If I don’t have a pre-prepared lunch, I always find myself grabbing some carb-heavy lunch from a take out restaurant near my office.
A little while back, I wrote a post a little while back for a delicious pepperoni pasta salad in a jar. The pepperoni pasta salad is similar to my Greek chickpea salad, but the Greek salad is a vegetarian option, which is always nice. Also, if you are keeping an eye on your carbs, the Greek salad is pasta-free!
Both salads include chickpeas. I don’t know about you, but I love chickpeas. They are a sneaky food to help boost your metabolism and taste so yummy when included in salads. Also, always tasty in your fave hummus.
If your life isn’t quite as on-the-go as mine, this recipe (of course) doesn’t need to be made in a jar. I use the recipe a lot for a great side dish to bring along to parties. The salad usually serves as a welcome compliment to an otherwise heavy table of pot luck food.
Now, don’t get my wrong, I love my carbs! So, when I want to add a little more yummy to the side, I will bring along pita chips or even slightly toasted pita bread.
The steps to make this salad are so easy!
- get a large jar or salad container/bowl
- add dressing to the bottom of the jar
- pile in chickpeas and mix them in with the dressing a bit
- next are the feta and onions
- add tomatoes and lettuce
- when you’re ready to eat, shake and enjoy!
Do you make salads ahead of time for you? I’m definitely going to keep this up. I think I’ll take a few of my salads from the summer of smoothies and salads and adapt them for meal prep salads!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Easy Healthy Lunch Recipe- Pepperoni Pasta Salad in a Jar
- Baked BBQ Chicken and Avocado Salad
- Spinach Salad & Dressing Recipe
Greek Chickpea Salad in a Jar
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 ounce crumbled feta divided
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes divided
- 1/4 medium red onion chopped, divided
- 1 cup cucumber slices divided
- 3-4 cups lettuce divided
- For the dressing divided:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice about 1/4 of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In 2 jars or containers divide chickpeas.
- Make the dressing in a small bowl, divide and pour over the two containers containing chickpeas.
- Divide and layer the crumbled feta, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber slices and lettuce.
- To serve shake container or pour into a bowl.
Little Cooking Tips says
Truly an amazing recipe, and being Greek, of course we had to check it out lol.
But the other news, that we just saw on your newsletter truly brightened our day!
So awesome that you’re having twins!!!!
May your -now expanding- family be blessed and always be happy, healthy and full of love and joy!!!!!!
Sending you our love Phi!
Mirella and Panos
Awww thank you so much Morelos and Panos!!! So glad you like the recipe and thank you for the kind words about my newsletter!!!