You’re going to fall in love with the convenience of making this slow cooker (crock pot) potatoes recipe. Potatoes are make in a slow cooker so you can free up oven space, and they’re gently cooked in a butter and herb sauce. These slow cooker potatoes are the perfect side dish for any meal and are made with only 5 ingredients!
We love potatoes in our family and, I mean, who doesn’t?! I just don’t always love how long they take to cook. So, the solution to my impatience? Five ingredient slow cooker potatoes (potatoes made with only 5 ingredients – yay for a five-ingredients Friday recipe)! Making potatoes in a crockpot/slow cooker allows me to do some quick prep work and then set it and forget it. Some days, that is my favorite way to cook.
With the busy holiday season upon us, I’m always looking for a side dish to serve that won’t take up 1. too much space in the oven or 2. take me too much time cooking or prepping. Plus, when you’re feeding a crowd, there is bound to be a picky eater or two in the mix, so that’s when I pull out my five ingredient slow cooker potato recipe. When making this recipe, the finished product is a classic potato that everyone will love (I also have a recipe for cheesy crockpot potatoes people love!)
The secret to this recipe is a simple paper towel. Sounds silly right? But I’m telling you, it makes all the difference!
Typically, when you make potatoes in a slow cooker, moisture collects on the lid and drips into the potatoes. By adding a simple paper towel under the lid, the condensation is collected and moisture doesn’t get in to the potatoes.
The flavors in this recipe are classic – garlic, parsley and chives – and, of course, no potato recipe can be complete with BUTTER. It’s as simple as that. Mix in all of these basic ingredients and let the potatoes cook away. When I’m feeling extra spunky, I even mix them part way through cooking…but that’s about it.
We are having friends over for dinner in a couple of weeks and these potatoes are on the menu. The kids were all just sick and I’ve barely had time to keep my head above water, so having simple recipes like these five ingredient slow cooker potatoes on hand are so helpful!
- One 5lb bag red potatoes, cut into quarters
- One stick butter (1/2 cup), cut into pieces (salted or unsalted ok)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley or one tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons freeze dried chives (or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives)
- Cut potatoes into quarters. You can also use baby potatoes and keep them whole (I love this for even easier prep).
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker. Fold up a few pieces of paper towel and place it under the lid of the slow cooker to catch condensation.
- Cook on low for 5 hours or on high for 3 hours, until a fork easily pokes into the potatoes and it is done cooking. Stir, checking to for doneness at around 2 hrs.
Potato pieces should be 3/4 - 1 inch pieces.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 339mg Carbohydrates: 45g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g