This 5-Ingredient Serbian oil and vinegar vegan potato salad recipe is a super simple and delicious potato salad recipe that I have been in love with ever since trying it years ago. For all those people who are looking for a mayo-free potato salad recipe (in other words, a potato salad with no mayonnaise) THIS is the recipe for you, and is this week’s Five Ingredient Friday recipe!
So I know I talk about my amazing in-laws quite a bit (like in this farm to table dinner in your backyard post, or in this recent sheet pan pizza recipe post) but did you know that 1/2 of my in-laws (my husband’s mothers side) is Serbian?
Here is a fun picture from our wedding – we had a traditional Serbian Orthodox wedding: crowns, candles and all!
I talked a little about it in this post for Vanilice Serbian cookies that I posted something like 4 years ago lol. My in-laws are amazing, I love all the different cultural aspects we celebrate, especially those with food.
At holidays, this Serbian oil and vinegar vegan potato salad is always on the table, and I’m so in love with the recipe.
It’s got a great tangy flavor from the vinegar and onions (which I make into almost a quick pickle when cooking the potatoes) and the cooked potatoes and oil make for a smooth silky finish. Seriously, I love this potato salad, it’s a great side dish for any occasion!
Also, this potato salad is great for all the upcoming summer outdoor parties and potlucks – no more worrying about mayo sitting out under the sun for hours and hours. In fact, I know there are many people out there (including my husband and I) who don’t like mayo-based potato salads, I’d highly recommend giving this easy 5 ingredient potato salad a try, they’ll fall in love with it.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Potatoes Recipe
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- The Best Healthy Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup Recipe
Serbian Oil and Vinegar Vegan Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes about 5 potatoes, sliced into 2 inch cubes
- 1/4 red onion finely sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, meanwhile, peel and cut the potatoes.
- When water is boiling, add potatoes and boil until a fork can easily be poked into them, about 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the water and let the potatoes cool for 30 minutes to an hour in the refrigerator.
- While the potatoes are cooking and cooling, finely cut the red onion and place in a bowl. Pour in the red wine vinegar and sugar and let marinate.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to touch, add them in with the onions, pour in olive oil and add salt (salt to taste, if you like it a little saltier, add in a few more pinches). Stir, and let cool for another 20 minutes, or up to overnight in the refrigerator, then serve and enjoy!