This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I have finally figured out the secret to sourdough and shared some of my favorite ways to use the discard. I’m also sharing a fun thing Nick and I did on IGTV last weekend, so I hope you enjoy! Also – this is a special Catching Up With The Kelnhofers – it’s been 1 year of me doing these posts!! Cannot wait to keep doing them through the years.
I must have made over 20 loaves of sourdough bread before FINALLY, last week I bought a banneton basket and kit thing from Amazon for $40. Here is the kit I got.
My bread finally turned out amazing!
Yes, it requires a lot of practice to work with sourdough, but man-o-man do the right tools help.
I’ve made 2 loaves that were both better than anything I’ve made without the stupid basket, lol.
New On The Blog:
Another week of delicious recipes, lists and family updates!
- Strawberry sauce recipe – enjoy this sauce on everything; pancakes, ice cream, oatmeal and more!
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers – your weekly family update from last week.
- BLT pizza recipe – combine a classic BLT sandwich with your favorite pizza crust and enjoy!
- The best one pan recipes – when you’re in a hurry, one pan recipes are the best, so I shared a list of my favorite.
- Love List 6 – my favorite new series on the blog!
- Things in my cart for the Nordstrom anniversary sale – so many great things I want to buy!
What to Make:
I’m celebrating sourdough this week and reminding you of all the great things you can make with a sourdough discard:
- Sourdough pizza crust – we use this over and over again at home.
- Sourdough pierogi – homemade pierogi are the best and this is a great way to try them!
- My emotional experience starting a sourdough starter – this sure was a journey; read all about it here.
- Sourdough scallion pancake – maybe the best thing I made with my discard.
- Tuna salad with pickled celery on sourdough bread – one of my favorite ways to use my sourdough bread.
What I Made:
- Did you catch our IGTV? If not, you can see it here. I made beer brats (with Gluten-Free beer because of Nick’s barley allergy and we found a barley-free beer) and Nick made old fashioneds. It was very fun and there was a special appearance from Ben who, of course, wasn’t napping lol.
- I also made cinnamon sugar raisin bread with sourdough starter discard. Ben helped, we just made up the recipe – used my honey oat flax bread recipe – and added a little of the sourdough starter discard and then filled the center with cinnamon, sugar, and a few raisins and rolled it up. It was a success!!
- I’ve been testing a recipe for quick pickled eggs, and I’m obsessed, they’re so good. Cannot wait to share with you soon!
- Also, made mashed potatoes for a friend, I used the recipe in my cookbook.
- We made balsamic grilled vegetables for the millionth time this summer, they’re just so amazing!
Since we’ve been making these on repeat, it’s nice to see what readers think of them too! And, this reader has a great tip if you don’t have a grill:
- “I’ve made these twice; a huge hit. I doubled the recipe the 2nd time I made these because there were zero leftovers the first time around; my guests were going for seconds! I didn’t have a grill basket so I ended up baking them in a 9×13 pan for 45 minutes at 350°. They came out great. Will def make these over and over.”
Item from Amazon you didn’t know you needed:
- Painter’s tape!! I use this for art projects AND for labeling containers in the fridge!
What I’m Reading:
- Still reading The Two Lives of Lydia Bird. It’s a tear jerker for sure!
What I’m Watching:
- We watched ‘to all the boys I’ve loved before‘ and I LOVED it, such a great rom-com! But it also made me feel old because I thought the Dad role was so good and more relatable.
- Beach day for the win! I took Ben on a little adventure day, we went to the lake, threw lots of rocks and stones in the water, relaxed, and then on the way home stopped at a baker which was set up so nice with hand sanitizer and ‘patio rules’ signs. Ben pointed and told me the sign said “Ben gets to have a cookie and mama also gets a cookie” lol, love his version.
- Ben picks his own outfit for walks, and he’s a goof on our walks. Have you ever tried to tell a three year-old that he has mis-matched boots on?! lol
- Early morning I left the house, Frankie’s hair was so funny, Ben & Nick said the cutest goodbye, and my ‘stuff’ on the car seat sure looks different in 2020: hand sanitizer and mask (and I had a Starbucks breakfast sandwich and it was beyond amazing not to cook for 1 meal!!)
- Nick’s mom gave Ben a paw patrol puzzle set, he did so good, I was impressed. We love puzzles!
- I made some oatmeal bars for the kids and Freddie grabbed the big one, and then took food off Frankie’s tray, lol.
- Nick held up Frankie outside my office because he was proud of her outfit, and I couldn’t agree more. Her socks even had bows on them, lol.
- It’s Nick’s birthday this weekend and I loved turning the calendar page and seeing all the cute pics!
- The twins were being just beyond cute, they’re growing so much!!
- Ben is loving all of the fresh summer fruits we have around – especially watermelon and blueberries (he can eat the whole container!)
Did you know?
- You can see some great recipe videos on my IGTV – check it out here! I am also starting to do some live cooking, along with Nick so keep an eye out for more videos like the one I mentioned at the start of the newsletter!
Popular this week:
- Most visited blog post: I loved seeing this that you liked learning about the Serbian sausage recipe.
- Most liked Instagram post: this tasty strawberry sauce image.
- Most pinned image: always a celebration with this pin about how to make a mimosa bar.
- Most viewed YouTube video: making a spinach salad with homemade dressing was popular this week.
- Most purchased item: This cookie scooper that I love too!
Do you like to shop the Nordstrom anniversary sale? If so, what do you have your eye on? I’d love to hear, so just leave a comment below and let me know!