This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m sharing my favorite tip on making a turkey look nice on a platter, a few alternative Thanksgiving ideas- if brunch is more your style- and my latest and most favorite home item that you have to have!
Thanksgiving is next week and I have a turkey display tip for you (this could be done when displaying any cut of meat!)
Place herbs on a platter (stem towards the center) and then place the turkey (or roast, or chicken, etc.) on top. The herbs catch the juices so you don’t see them, and it smells nice.
Makes the presentation really nice, and hey, we eat with our eyes, that’s a saying, right?
I learned that tip from my mom.
We’re foregoing seeing family and just doing a small family thanksgiving.
I’ve heard from a lot of readers that they’re keeping it small. I also got the sweetest email from a reader who made my 5 ingredient pumpkin pie as part of a pumpkin pie tasting contest for her son’s birthday, and my recipe won!! I promise, making a pumpkin pie is easy.
Whatever your plans are, if you have any food – related questions, I’m happy to try and help, just let me know.
New on the blog:
Thanksgiving is almost here and then Christmas is next on the list, before we know it. Starting to sprinkle in a few gift ideas on the blog!
- 5 ingredient parmesan crusted pork chops – such an easy, quick dinner that my whole family loved.
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers – our weekly updates from last week.
- Thanksgiving brunch ideas – sometimes dinner isn’t your thing or you have two Thanksgiving celebrations to attend, so why not try brunch!?
- Mom essentials – holiday edition – sharing what I’m cooking, what I’m buying and what I’m wearing this holiday season.
- Love list – This week’s love list is a gift guide with ideas from the whole team! Not going to lie, this was one of my all time favorite love lists we’ve shared!!
Theme of the week:
There are plenty of ways to make Thanksgiving turkeys and I’m sharing some of my favorites:
- How to make a Thanksgiving turkey – the most classic, traditional take on a Thanksgiving turkey
- Air fryer turkey breast – I cannot believe how amazing this was! Nick loved it and he has always proclaimed that he doesn’t love turkey.
- Instant Pot turkey breast – instead of waiting all day for your turkey to be done, use this recipe for a much quicker turnaround time.
- Super simple 5 ingredient turkey – this recipe has one ingredient that just may surprise you
- 5 ingredient turkey meatballs in a slow cooker – just one of the many alternatives to a full turkey if you want to get creative with your main dish this year.
5 recipes to make this week:
- 3 Ingredient Banana Pancakes Recipe – a super easy breakfast that comes together in a flash
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Turmeric Soup Recipe – like a hug in a bowl – the best warm soup!
- 5 Ingredient Skillet Pizza Pot Pie Recipe – this 5 ingredient recipe is a fave in our house
- The Best Ground Turkey Tacos – a healthy Taco Tuesday option
- The Easiest Banana Bread Muffins – another great way to use bananas that are about to go bad.
What I’m making:
- Nick knocked it out of the park this week. He made my recipe for 5 ingredient beef and pepper ramen and changed just a few things (below). It was SO yummy. I can’t stop talking about it.
- He used garlic chicken sausage instead of beef
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce + 1 teaspoon chili paste instead of the sweet chili sauce (what we had on hand).
- I made my freezer butternut squash soup and that recipe is probably one of my favorite recipe creations ever, it’s just spot on! I’ve made it many times (I love having some in the freezer when I need a last minute meal. I serve it to the kids with a side of grilled cheese and sliced up apple or pear. I also add a spoonful of yogurt/Greek yogurt in theirs.
- I receive a lot of wonderful comments on my pumpkin loaf recipe, so I thought I’d share a few more while you’ve got pumpkin recipes on your mind!
- “So good! I made a “test loaf” for myself and when it passed with flying colors I made 2 more for others I used half cup granulated sugar and half cup brown sugar, the rest I followed to a T. The flavor is what really sold me, just the right amount of spice. Thanks for the delicious recipe!”
- “I LOVE this recipe!! I use it all of the time. I found with gluten free flours it could be a bit dry so I used a little extra pumpkin. I also don’t like vegetable oils so I used coconut oil. SO GOOD!!”
- This reader was so sweet! She tagged me in a delicious-looking picture and took the time to send me a message about making my pumpkin pecan pie. I love hearing from you guys!
Things I’m Loving
Item from Amazon you didn’t know you needed:
I’ve mentioned this before, but YOU REALLY NEED THIS. I can’t believe I’m getting so excited over a stupid mop, but seriously, this mop is life changing!
- I’ve lost track of how many people have purchased it now and told me they love it too.
- It works on laminate, hardwood, and tile floors!
- It’s fun, and just works!
What I’m Reading
- I am so excited to pre-order Yes, And I Love You by Roni Loren. I recently discovered her books (very steamy romance but actually good stories and plots too) and have been loving her books – I’ve read 3 in the last month!
- I’m reading the cookbook Scandinavian Gatherings because it has some craft and cozy holiday things I want to do with the kids, so I need to read up!
- Nick (with help from Ben of course) put up the most beautiful floating shelf in my office. It’s one of the best purchases I’ve made from Etsy. I got it from this shop. It was pricey and took a while to arrive (6+ weeks) BUT…it’s such high quality and so stunning. I could not recommend it enough. And it came with super detailed instructions (and even wood colored stickers to cover the drill holes).
- My in-laws dropped off pizza for a pizza night. YUM, it was soooo good.
- I was working on testing a Christmas recipe and Ben helped, the little snitcher lol!
- You guys!! FREDDIE is climbing on the kids table and then stands up there and screams because he can’t get down lol. It’s funny, but not!
- When I work from home, it’s surprising how much I get done, considering my constant visitors, lol.
- We’ve been having a lot of fun with wooden blocks
- It’s so cold now. We took a walk outside with the family, Ben got a new mask and was roaring like a dinosaur (awesome masks here, super affordable, I got some for Nick and I and for the kids.
- What do you do when you get home from work late and it’s dark? Grab some flashlights and take a night time walk.
- Creativity award goes to Nick – he made Ben an airplane bird thing and Ben was zooming around the house (knocking into everything).
- The boys are seriously loving the stacking rainbow toy (this is the one I’d recommend, there’s a 100 different ones, some are small, the one we have is a great size.)
Did you Know?
We have an easy way for you to access all of our great SweetPhi holiday content! Check out the new menu bar to include a section solely dedicated to all things holiday! Easy access to all of our favorite things.
Popular this week:
- Most visited blog post: Pumpkin pecan pie – two pies into one amazingly delicious one, not surprised it was the most visited one!
- Most liked Instagram post: Haha, this picture – what’s your Monday mood?
- Most pinned image: this super old, but still very tasty, pin for pumpkin loaf!
- Most viewed YouTube video: this video remains a favorite!
- Most purchased item: This corduroy tote. I must admit, I have this on my Christmas list for one of my friends!!