Enjoy this easy grilled steak and chimichurri with fries for dinner with the beautiful late summer weather. This super flavorful meal is made simpler by using some short cuts I’ll share with you in the recipe below!
When my husband said he wanted steak and chimichurri with fries for dinner, I cringed, thinking that it would be one of those meals that requires a million ingredients and a million hours.
In all actuality, this ended up being a super simple amazing grilled steak recipe to make. We used frozen french fries which really made the whole meal seem so simple, because as the steak was grilling, we just threw the fries in the oven, and everything was done at the same time.
Chimichurri’s are an uncooked sauce made up of fresh herbs (typically parsley), garlic, olive oil and vinegar. It’s used as both a marinade and a sauce and is amazing on meats (beef, chicken, pork) and on fish too). I’ve made a non-traditional chimichurri before when I shared a recipe for curry crusted steak with roasted red pepper chimichurri.
While there are a million and a half chimichurri recipes out there, I just used what I had on hand to make it this amazing herby-garlic-olive oil sauce with red chili flakes instead of chiles and loosely used this Bon Appetite chimichurri sauce recipe as a guide.
Point being that this herb marinade/sauce for steak is super adaptable for what you have on hand and can totally be customized to your taste.
Before being grilled you can marinate the steak for 5 minutes or overnight in fridge. I made the sauce, set 1/2 aside for dipping the fries in and brushed the rest on steak and then my husband grilled up the steak. It was so easy and all in all, prep for this took like 10 minutes – 5 minutes of making the sauce and then 5 minutes getting everything set for the grill (or fries for the oven) and then cooking was very quick and everything was done in under 30 minutes!
If you’re looking for an easy grilled steak and chimichurri with fries recipe, I cannot recommend this enough, it was so delicious and summery!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Steak and Nectarine Salad Recipe
- 5 Ingredient Flank Steak Charred Corn Salad
- Steak Tacos with Cranberry Salsa Recipe
Easy Grilled Steak and Chimichurri
- For the chimichurri sauce:
- 3/4 cup herby greens parsley or cilantro or a combination- I used mainly parsley and a sprig or two or cilantro
- 1/4 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1 jalapeno or fresno chile
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Other Ingredients:
- 1 16-32 oz steak ribeye, flank or strip steak - or 4 smaller cut steaks
- 1 bag frozen french fries I used Ore Ida extra crispy french fries
- For the chimichurri sauce: combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until combined and only a few chunks remain (about 15-30 seconds). Divide the chimichurri into two (one for steak marinade, one part for dipping).
- Pat steak dry and brush both sides with 1/2 of the chimichurri sauce. Let rest for 5 minutes (or let marinate up to overnight in the fridge).
- Grill steak to doneness liking (rare=120-130, medium=135-145, well=155 & up)
- Bake fries according to package instructions
- Serve steak with fries, pour remaining sauce over fries and steak or serve on the side for dipping. Enjoy!