Enjoy this easy grilled steak and chimichurri with fries for dinner – it pairs perfectly with patio weather. This super flavorful meal is made simpler by using some short cuts I’ll share with you in the recipe below!
This dinner surprised me by being a super simple amazing grilled steak recipe to make. You can use frozen french fries as a great shortcut which helps to make the whole meal seem so simple. As the steak was grilling, throw the fries in the oven, and everything is done at the same time.
What is chimichurri?
- Chimichurri is an uncooked sauce made up of fresh herbs (typically parsley), garlic, olive oil and vinegar. It’s used as both a marinade and a sauce and is amazing on meats (beef, chicken, pork) and on fish too). I’ve made a non-traditional chimichurri before when I shared a recipe for curry crusted steak with roasted red pepper chimichurri.
While there are a million and a half chimichurri recipes out there, it’s easiest to just used what you have on hand. The end result is an amazing herby-garlic-olive oil sauce with red chili flakes instead of chiles and loosely used this Bon Appetite chimichurri sauce recipe as a guide.
This herb marinade/sauce for steak is super adaptable for what you have on hand and can totally be customized to your taste.
Before you throw your steak on the grill, you can marinate it for 5 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator, depending on how much time you have. And don’t forget to set aside half of the sauce for dipping so you can enjoy all of that chimichurri goodness once the steak comes off the grill!
All together, this meal took about 10 minutes to prep – 5 minutes of making the sauce and then 5 minutes getting everything set for the grill (or fries for the oven) and then cooking was very quick and everything was done in under 30 minutes!
If you’re looking for an easy grilled steak and chimichurri with fries recipe, I cannot recommend this enough, it was so delicious and summery!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Steak and Nectarine Salad Recipe
- 5 Ingredient Flank Steak Charred Corn Salad
- Steak Tacos with Cranberry Salsa Recipe
Easy Grilled Steak and Chimichurri
For the chimichurri sauce:
- 3/4 cup herby greens parsley or cilantro or a combination- I used mainly parsley and a sprig or two or cilantro
- 1/4 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1 jalapeno or fresno chile
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper Generous pinch of each
- 1 steak 16 - 32 oz. Ribeye, flank or strip steak - or 4 smaller cut steaks
- 1 bag rench fries Frozen - I used Ore Ida extra crispy french fries
For the chimichurri sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until combined and only a few chunks remain (about 15-30 seconds). Divide the chimichurri into two (one for steak marinade, one part for dipping).
To make the steak:
- Pat steak dry and brush both sides with 1/2 of the chimichurri sauce. Let rest for 5 minutes (or let marinate up to overnight in the fridge).
- Grill steak to doneness liking (rare=120-130, medium=135-145, well=155 & up)
- Bake fries according to package instructions
- Serve steak with fries, pour remaining sauce over fries and steak or serve on the side for dipping. Enjoy!