If you’re looking for a great easy summer dinner, these grilled pineapple chicken burgers are it! They are a perfect Hawaiian inspired dish to have you thinking of the tropics all day long.
I love a good weeknight burger and this recipe fits the bill. It’s summery, fresh, filling and delicious. You can make a double batch and enjoy these chicken burgers all week long or eat them all in one night.
Plus, anything on the grill is always a plus. You can use a grill pan or skillet if you don’t want to outdoor grill them.
What Ingredients do you need to make a grilled pineapple chicken burger?
- Ground chicken- you could also use ground turkey or ground beef
- Teriyaki sauce
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Garlic salt
- Pineapple slices/rings
- Coconut oil
If you don’t have ground chicken, this burger would be great with ground turkey as well. I love making burgers with ground turkey – like these sour cream and chive burgers and these skinny turkey burgers on bagel thins. Either way, this grilled chicken burger is a healthier option to your typical red meat burger.
To keep these burgers juicy and add a ton of flavor, teriyaki sauce plays an important role. Not only does it act as a binder, but gives the burger the perfect flavor.
And, if you want to add that extra bit of islandy goodness, that’s where the coconut oil comes into play. Sure, you could use an alternative oil, but the coconut oil helps create perfect char marks and a touch of island-flavors (don’t worry, it’s not too over-powering at all!)
If this burger isn’t already tempting you enough, let me tell you about the amazing sauce you top each burger with. It’s a simple combination of mayonnaise, Sriracha and honey. Combined, you’ll get the perfect mixture of sweet and spicy.
If you love burgers, you might also enjoy these easy burger recipes:
Sides for burgers that are always a hit:
Grab the ingredients to make these grilled pineapple chicken burgers next time you’re at the grocery store – everyone will love them!
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 4 slices/rings pineapple fresh or canned, drained (I prefer thicker fresh cut rings, they grill better!)
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil melted (could use evoo), optional
To create sauce
- 3 Tbs. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tsp. honey
- 4 buns if you can find Hawaiian buns those are amazing, but any burger buns will work
- 4 slices butter lettuce for serving
- In a bowl mix ground chicken, teriyaki sauce, Panko bread crumbs and garlic salt until just combined. Form into 4 burger patties and transfer to a plate.
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium- high. If using a grill pan, use some olive oil or coconut oil to coat the pan so the burgers and pineapple don't stick to the pan.
- Place chicken burgers on grill and cook chicken burgers for about 5-7 minutes, until you start to see chicken patties become white/cooked and start to form grill marks. Flip burgers and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, until cooked through. Chicken burgers are done when an internal temperature reaches 165 degrees and juices run clear.
- Melt coconut oil and brush on pineapple rings. Place pineapple rings on grill and cook for 1-2 minutes, until starting to form grill marks, carefully flip and cook for an additional minutes.
- Top burgers with pineapple slices.
To make the sauce
- Combe the mayonnaise, Sriracha and honey.
To assemble burgers
- Place bottom burger down, spread a little burger sauce, lay a piece of lettuce down, top with chicken burger and grilled pineapple ring, add top bun and enjoy!