This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m sharing all of our outdoor fun, the cutest little baby shoes and some amazingly refreshing, perfect-for-summer recipes.
I wanted to give you an update on the donation matching and say a HUGE thank you! In last week’s Catching Up With The Kelnhofers I mentioned that instead of doing my regular monthly giveaway, I will be making donations.
I will be matching any donations made to the pandemic or injustice related charity organization you support up to a total of $2500 now through July 1, simply reply to this email or message me at email@example.com a screenshot of your receipt and I’ll send you a reply message with the matching donation. ⠀
So far, we are over $1000 in donations! Here are just some of the organizations we’ve collectively supported:
- ACLU WI
- Artist Relief
- Blexit Foundation
- ActBlue BLM
- Black Table Arts
- Black Lives Matter Los Angeles
- Black Leaders Organizing for Communities (BLOC) Action
- Center for Popular Democracy
- Chicago Birthworks
- Hunger Task Force
- Milwaukee Women’s Center
- NC Bail fund
- Restaurant employee relief fund
My favorite Italian leather ballet flats company I rave about all the time (Tieks) is doing a Front Line Heroes campaign where they’re giving $100 off for front line heroes- on top of already having donated over 900,000 masks and more. That’s so inspiring, and made me just purchase another pair. (Read my Tieks review titled – are Tieks worth the price? If you’re curious here – I’ve been wearing them since 2014!)
New on the Blog:
If you’re a regular newsletter reader, you know how often I cook with Ben in the kitchen so I’m especially excited to share one of the posts from this week!
- Best recipes to make with kids in the kitchen – a must-read for anyone at-home with their kids
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers – weekly family update from last week!
- The best side salad – perfect side salad for any meal!
What to Make: Refreshing Recipes
With the weather getting hotter, this week, I’m all about refreshing, cool summer recipes….which all happen to feature cucumbers too!
What I’ve Been Making:
- Nick requests my chicken salad all the time, I made some and he shared a picture with is family text message thread, lol.
- We make smoothies all the time and have been making a lot of them lately – especially the mango smoothie and green smoothie.
- We made my honey biscuits and tried to put leftover sourdough starter in them; it wasn’t the best use of sourdough starter discard (here are a million things I’ve tried and how I maintain a zero waste sourdough starter). I love the honey biscuits just as they are!
- We also made some chocolate chip cookies – instead of caramel I put in peanut butter and omg, amazing!
Readers are making my vanilla scones with orange glaze and I love hearing about it! Below is what one person said:
- “Just finished making these. They are delicious! Very easy to make. Because I had no sour cream on hand I substituted buttermilk, which is what I always use in my scones. Thank you for sharing this recipe!”
I have been seeing a lot of re-creations across my social channels and it’s been so fun to see! This week, I wanted to showcase a fun breakfast treat, one of my favorite side dishes and a simple, 5-ingredient dessert! Check out the readers that re-created my vanilla scones with orange glaze, balsamic veggies and my blueberry skillet dump cake.
Links from Around the Web:
- I ordered plain cotton/washable masks for us and the kids.
- Loving this To-doodle-do notepad! This is the most beautiful to do list ever.
- I have had this camera bag for years and absolutely love it. If you’re looking for a great, black-owned company to support, I highly recommend Onabags.
- Remember the dalgona coffee craze? Well I found this article about 6 International coffee styles to try at home.
What I’m Reading:
- I am still reading Oona Out of Order – there was a big twist and now I’m super invested in the story line again. I cannot wait to finish this quirky book!
What I’m Watching:
- I need some recommendations here! I haven’t had a lot of down time to watch TV, so I’m not currently watching anything right now.
- My sister in law got Ben some butterflies (it’s called a butterfly garden and you grow butterflies and then set them free) and we released them. Ben said ‘bye bye butterflies ‘ and waved.
- We have been enjoying a lot of outside meals – I just scoot the twin’s high chairs outside and bring Ben out and eat (not the greatest pictures because everyone is squinting lol)!
- We’ve also been playing catch a lot – he’s really proud when he catches the ball.
- Whenever we take a walk outside, Ben wants to take a picture with the babies before we leave – happy to oblige.
- Are soft-soled baby shoes the cutest thing or what?
- Ben came in my office to “help” me work which turned into him watching 1 (ok, 3) educational shows and allowing me to work for another hour. I’ll take what I can get!
- Ben got a super cool drawing from his aunt and we all had breakfast together (keep in mind these breakfasts are at 6 am…the kids wake up at 5:30 at the latest).
- Frankie is teething – she is sprouting her upper teeth, 3-4 at a time! I’m constantly sharing this post with friends who are on baby #1 that is teething.
- One of Ben’s favorite things to do is run through the water that I spray out of the hose.
- We are just generally loving all of the outside time!
Did you know?
- You can add star ratings to recipes or leave comments on them. By doing this, it really helps the website rank better; meaning it will show up higher on Google searches, for example. By leaving comments and star ratings you are really helping with engagement and it’s so appreciated!
Popular This Week
- Most visited blog post: a perfect grilling post for bbq chicken seasoning mix
- Most liked Instagram post: this gallery of “school pictures” of the kids!
- Most pinned image: how to make a mimosa bar.
- Most viewed YouTube video: another strong week for one of my favorite dinners – chicken, potatoes and veggies!
- Most purchased item: Cool Nights sleep shirt dress from Soma – I own two of them and featured this in my latest Mom Essentials post.
How is your week going? How are you doing? Just leave a comment below and let me know.