Enjoy this cherry berry chocolate smoothie recipe knowing that you’re drinking something healthy and delicious to start the day off. Loaded with good for you ingredients (and only 5 ingredients) like cherries, berries, spinach (you won’t even taste it), cocoa powder (or protein powder) and almond milk, you’ll feel so good drinking it.
Lately, I’ve had cherries on my mind.
We recently went on a little road trip to Northern Michigan where there were cherry trees/orchards everywhere (I’m going to be working on a post about the trip soon.) When we were on our trip, I couldn’t help but think of the summer of smoothies and salads and how cherries would be so amazing in smoothies (in the past I shared this green power smoothie that has cherries in it!)
Then I remembered how one of my employees at work was telling me about this awesome smoothie she used to make which was cherries, chocolate protein powder and almond milk – she said it was like a black forest cake in smoothie form!
So when I was making my weekly smoothie packs (I like to make bags of the smoothie ingredients and then have them ready to go in the freezer) I made a chocolate protein powder smoothie and LOVED it.
I’ve tweaked the recipe to be a cherry berry chocolate smoothie with a small amount of greens in it, so it’s super healthy – and this smoothie only has 5 ingredients in it (cherries, berries, chocolate protein powder or cocoa powder, spinach and almond milk) so it’s a perfect 5 ingredient breakfast recipe!
While there are so many health benefits of cherries, my favorite one to note is that cherries are the only natural source of melatonin, a hormone that regulates the body’s internal block and sleep-wake cycle. So if you’re ever feeling “off” with your sleep cycles, try cherries to help regulate it.
To make this cherry berry chocolate smoothie recipe you can start with fresh or frozen fruit. I found a mix of berries and cherries at Target recently that I’ve been using in this smoothie which has been great, while other times I’ve pitted cherries and then frozen them.
Next time you’re looking for a super delicious and nutritious 5 ingredient breakfast, this cherry berry chocolate smoothie should definitely be on your mind!
- 1 cup cherries, pitted (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries -any combination or single ingredient)
- ¼ cup spinach
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (or 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- In a freezer storage bag or container combine cherries, mixed berries, spinach and chocolate protein powder or cocoa powder. Freeze overnight or leave in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- Pour 1 cup almond milk and 1 cup of water into a blender (I use this high powered blender) and add contents of the bag and blend until smooth.
- Divide between two cups and enjoy
Sign up for email updates and get a free eCookbook with our top 25 recipes!