Bust out the grills my friends, because you’re going to want to make these 5 ingredient grilled citrus chicken skewers ASAP! The weather is FINALLY starting to get nice which means it’s the start of the BBQ season![Tag me on Instagram, @philiakelnhofer if you fure up the frill and make these 5 ingredient citrus chicken skewers!”]
he dreary weather really seemed to stretch out forever this year, didn’t it? Here in Wisconsin it really threw us for a loop. It snowed in April and had us all worried that we would never see the sunshine and warmer weather. It’s as if my body was craving a little warmth and heat.
And what better way to experience that than with a dish that has summertime flavors?
Wanting something that would remind me of bright and bold flavors, I checked to see what all I had on hand and headed over to my tiny pantry (typical of when I do a Five-Ingredient Friday post).
I’m not just “saying” my pantry is tiny, it really, truly is – it’s no more than a foot wide. So I have to be really particular about what I keep in it. One staple I always have in there? Nielsen-Massey extracts. No joke, I a whole little shelf in my pantry dedicated to their products – I literally use them minimum once a week).
As soon as I spotted the Nielsen-Massey Pure Lemon Extract and the Nielsen-Massey Pure Orange Extract I was thinking citrus citrus citrus!
Cooking with extracts is so great because they really add a lot of flavors while not needing a bunch of other ingredients.
I combined the lemon and orange extracts with some apricot jam and red pepper flakes to make a marinade for chicken which I then grilled.
The end result? AMAZING! Slightly sweet and spicy grilled chicken with amazing citrus flavors that really bring the dish together. Next time you’re looking for a quick and easy grilling recipe to bring to a BBQ, I’d recommend trying these citrus chicken skewers! If you’re looking for additional inspiration, follow Nielsen-Massey Vanillas on Instagram.
How has the weather been where you live? Are you ready for grilling season?
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Quick and Easy Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken and Stuffing Recipe
- Hot Honey Baked Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
5 Ingredient Grilled Citrus Chicken Skewers
- 3 Tablespoons apricot jam
- ½ Tablespoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Orange Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Lemon Extract
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
- To make the marinade whisk together the apricot jam, orange and lemon extracts, red pepper flakes and salt. Whisk until combined (1 minute).
- Add the chicken cubes to the marinade and stir, coating all the chicken with the marinade. Let chicken marinate for 20 minutes (or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator).
- Warm your grill up to its highest setting, or light the charcoal and get the grill ready.
- To assemble the skewers place the skewer through the middle of 6-8 cubes of chicken, making sure to tap any excess marinade off.
- Place the chicken skewers on the grill and allow to cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 5 minutes. Check for doneness, and then remove the skewers from the grill and transfer to a plate. Serve and enjoy!
Click on the image to Pin:
Angie | Big Bears Wife says
mmm I love cooking and baking with Nielsen-Massey extracts! I bet these skewers are fantastic!
The skewers are definitely delish – the Nielsen-Massey extracts are ideal to work with, and the skewers are so good, I think you’d love them!
Rachel @ Bakerita says
Oooh such a good idea to use extracts to help flavor the chicken! These skewers looks incredibly delicious 🙂
Thank you so much – the extracts really make for the best marinade 🙂
shawnna griffin says
Hey girl this looks so good!
Thank you so much – these are definitely delicious for a summery recipe!
Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It says
Oh wow! I love the use of orange AND lemon extract, I would’ve never thought to use that in a chicken recipe! Thank you so much for sharing Phi! Glad I found your blog 🙂
The extracts in the marinade make for the best chicken skewers, and thank you so much for your kind words about my blog!