I recently discovered Misfits Market (imperfect produce and organic grocery delivery) and am completely in love with the service, so today I’m sharing my review! Misfits Market offers savings of up to 40% off grocery store prices and helps fight food waste with organic produce and sustainable sourced groceries delivered right to your door. With each delivery, I’m more and more in love. The big box you see below was under $50! For everything!
“Always affordable, occasionally funny looking” is printed boldly on the side of the box.
I’m fine with ugly produce – ugly fruits and vegetables or imperfect produce- which would normally go to waste!
I’d been hearing about imperfect fruits and vegetable produce delivery services (similar to meal delivery services ) and was so excited when I came across Misfits Market. I’ve now been a customer for a few weeks and each week am left in awe that a giant box of produce and other items (like pasta sauce and chips) is under $50! I’ve only had to throw out one kind of questionable vegetable that was probably fine but I thought it might have turned bad, out of 100s of items (and trust me, this happens with ‘perfect’ produce I pick out at the store which sits in my fridge too long).
How does Misfits Market work?
- You sign up for Misfits Market and choose the size of your box. $30 minimum.
- Then you get to choose seasonal organic produce available during a 3-day shopping window every week.
- You can also shop sustainably sourced groceries at prices that are much cheaper than traditional grocery stores (new items are added every week from pantry staples and proteins and snacks).
- Your order can be edited throughout the shopping window, then your order is delivered to your home!
The sad fact is that almost 1/3 (!!) of everything that’s grown in the U.S. never gets harvested because it doesn’t meet the superficial standards of a traditional store. So what if it’s slightly ugly or a little bigger or smaller than “normal”, right?
So besides saving on grocery costs and helping fixing the food system, I’ve noticed that I’ve been cooking and consuming so many more vegetable and fruits!! Here’s an example of how I used the produce:
- Vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers: balsamic grilled veggies, roasted vegetable lasagna
- Eggplants and herbs: eggplant pasta, magic green sauce
- Sweet potatoes and potatoes: grilled sweet potatoes and perfectly roasted potatoes
- Veggies like cucumbers and carrots: quick pickled veggies or Asian quick pickled veggies
- Fruit like pears and apples: pear ricotta honey toast, pear crumble for 2, pear and ginger caramel crumble, upside down apple and pear loaf, fresh apple cake with browned butter frosting
- Fruit like plums and peaches: peach plum blueberry crumble pie, freezer peach crumble, peach and tomato panzanella
If you’re ever looking for recipes to make with a specific fruit or vegetable, just use the search feature on this website, or feel free to message me and I’d be happy to brainstorm ideas!!
Every Misfits Market order benefits farmers and makers, helps prevent food waste, and ultimately helps save our environment. Regardless of how it looks, their stuff tends to be fresher than what you’d find in stores because it doesn’t hang out with middlemen or in storage. I hope you’ve enjoyed this Misfits Market review and that you give them a try!
GIVEAWAY: I’d like to give one lucky winner a chance to try Misfits Market. 1 winner will receive a $50 visa gift card so they can order a box of produce and some pantry staples! Simply leave a comment below with what’s your favorite recipe with fruits or veggies!! Winner chosen and notified 7/2/2021, U.S entrants only – winner must live in Misfits Market delivery area (under ‘where do you deliver?’).
Disclaimer: this post is not sponsored or endorsed, all opinions are mine alone. Thank you for supporting the brands and products which make the SweetPhi blog possible. I’m sharing this review and giveaway because I just love the service!