One of my biggest goals with the SweetPhi blog is to share easy recipes that help busy people. Lately, as things have been even busier than normal with work-schedules changing-etc., I have been making a quinoa and chicken bowls recipe that I prep once and eat all week! I wanted to share with you exactly how I do it.
Quinoa is one of my favorite grains to cook with and use in recipes because it is packed with protein! It’s a great item to include in vegetarian dishes to ensure there is enough protein so its filling for anyone eating it. But, I’m not here to talk about vegetarian dishes – this one is all about the chicken!
Recently, I shared three amazing ‘bowl’ recipes with different (favorite) flavors:
Each of these bowls were made with the same base – chicken and quinoa.
In the past, I made a ton of rice-based bowls, like my sesame salmon rice bowl and my Asian ground turkey and rice bowl. These are, of course, amazing and delicious, but white rice just isn’t anywhere near as healthy as quinoa for you.
To prep for the week, on Sunday, I just make a big batch of quinoa and prep my chicken breasts ahead of time as well. I use three large chicken breasts, cut in half and that is enough for Nick and I for 3 bowl meals each, or 6 bowl meals. You could easily double this if wanting to prep ahead for 2 people for 6 meals.
- OR, you could use a rotisserie chicken, shredded.
Quinoa takes a little bit of time to cook – only about 30 minutes, but longer than rice for example. So that’s why I like to cook it ahead of time. Plus, it re-heats really well, so it’s an easy grain to meal-prep with.
To make your meal prep even easier, I’ve included a printable grocery list that includes the ingredients to make three of my favorite quinoa and chicken bowls recipes so you can prep once and eat all week. Just print the list, run to the store and get cooking!
And, the best part is that the prep doesn’t even take that long and then you’ll have three healthy dinners to enjoy throughout the week! Click HERE for a pdf of the chicken and quinoa bowls grocery list
Quinoa and Chicken Bowls
- 3 large Boneless/skinless chicken breast see cooking instructions below or use rotisserie chicken
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- garlic salt to taste
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 3 cups cooked quinoa or [1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa] see cooking instructions below, or use premade 90-second quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp Better than Bullion (or you can use chicken stock in place of water to add more flavor to the quinoa)
Asian chicken and quinoa bowl toppings
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 cup broccoli cooked
- 2 tbs cashews
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
Mexican chicken and quinoa bowl toppings
- 1/2 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 2 tbs sour cream
BBQ chicken and quinoa bowl toppings
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup crispy fried onions
- 1 ear corn or 1/2 cup frozen corn
Cook Quinoa (1/2 cup uncooked quinoa to 1 cup water) for 2 servings
- Rinse quinoa for about 30 seconds.
- Combine quinoa and water in saucepan and bring to a boil. Decrease heat to low and cook until quinoa has absorbed all of the water.
- Coat chicken in olive oil, a dash of salt, pepper, 1 pressed garlic clove (or a dash of garlic salt) and if you have some cumin and chili powder, sprinkle a little on. Bake until done. Time will vary depending on size of chicken breast. Slice and enjoy. Or prep ahead.Alternatively, pan fry the chicken breast or cook it in a slow cooker.
- Prepare toppings for bowls
- To assemble bowls - use 1/2 up cooked quinoa per bowl, top with 1/2 chicken breast (about 4-6 oz), and divide toppings between the bowls. Enjoy!
Some of my favorite meal prep resources: