This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, you can get a sneak peak at the kids Halloween costumes and enjoy a look at our quintessential fall day.
We had the most quintessential fall day, we visited a pumpkin patch, carved pumpkins and made pumpkin bread.
It was my first time visiting an actual pumpkin patch where the pumpkins grow on the ground! It was just amazing to see.
Then we carved pumpkins and made pumpkin bread. We turned them into muffins vs. a loaf (just adjust bake time to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.)
Frankie got super mad when we tried to remove the muffin wrapper.
Sharing the latest posts up on Sweetphi.com:
- Sausage puff pastry appetizer – great to keep on hand for upcoming holiday parties
- Weekly meal plan – plan ahead and prep an easy grocery list with the weekly meal plan
- Healthy Instant Pot baked potato soup – delicious soup ready in less than 30 minutes. You can also make this via stovetop if you don’t have an IP!
- Love List – weekly finds from around the web
- For snacks this week, I made a double batch of these energy balls without dates (they freeze really well too!)
- One day when I didn’t feel like cooking, I almost cried happy tears because I had a chicken broccoli alfredo meal made in the freezer so we just heated it up and yum!
- I’ve been really into soups this season, I’m LOVING these 4:
- Corn cauliflower chowder with bacon – warm, comforting and delicious; everything I love about a chowder
- Butternut squash soup – great for the freezer and perfect for fall
- Minestrone soup with parmesan croutons – and try them with these cheesy cornbread dipping sticks
- Creamy chicken gnocchi soup – made in an Instant Pot
Potatoes are in season, here are some of my favorite ways to use them!
- Perfectly baked potatoes my favorite side dish with potatoes, they’re amazing
- Arugula salad with roasted potatoes and chicken a unique meal which is great warm or cold!
- My favorite way to make mashed potatoes with a secret ingredient.
- Comforting, delicious, so so good, slow cooker fire roasted tomato pot roast with potatoes and carrots
- Potato soup with no bacon – this is a great quick vegetable soup everyone will love!
- I love this power greens and potato breakfast skillet – it’s like a frittata-esque dish, hearty and filling!
This pumpkin loaf is an all-time favorite recipe of mine and many of my readers, including those who left the comments below.
- “Truly delightful texture and flavor– made as muffins (yield 20) and cook time was about 25 minutes.”
- “Turns out, it was AWESOME. “Delicious and moist”. We might opt to ramp up the spice levels for the added volume next time around, but that’s definitely the way to go, for us, anyway.
AND perfect for apple season!
- “Just made these with apples and cinnamon. They were delicious and easy to make. Put some whipping on top and gobbled them down. Gonna try other fruits next time.
These white chocolate peanut grape bites are a great snack and mean so much to me because they are a family recipe passed down to me! So, it’s great to see you (my readers!) making them too – and they looks tasty!
- This fleece that is super affordable and perfect for fall and transitioning into winter!
- Taking a departure from novels and reading Open Book by Jessica Simpson and whoa is it good, and emotional, and surprising. I’m two chapters in and have cried multiple times. People have definitely underestimated her – like when she casually lets it drop that her fashion company surpassed a billion dollars. The story is really engaging and I’m really loving it to be honest.
- Patiently waiting for Laine Moriarty’s new book called Apples Never Fall from the library, cannot wait!
- Adding The Santa Suit by Mary Kay Andrews to my winter reading list, it sounds super cute and festive, and it’s a short novella!
- 3 Kids playing quietly– what dreams are made of. I won’t ever forget this moment, the 3 kids were playing quietly together, nicely, for an hour. It was amazing. I snapped just a quick pic to commemorate, then walked away and made dinner!
- Picking presents for Santa’s list – We got a catalog in the mail from Fat Brain Toys (educational toys, we got a wooden ‘tool cart’ for Freddie last year and he and the others STILL play with it!) and Frankie was pointing at things she wanted the Elves to start making.
- Cute moments – random cute moments from the week
- Halloween costume preview: We’d been asking the kids for weeks what they wanted to be for halloween, their costumes came, and we did a try on. Ben and Frankie LOVE their costumes and kept asking to play outside dressed up (I let them because hey, if they can wear them a few times I consider it a win.) Freddie, not so much, had a complete meltdown and refused to even go outside in it.
Can’t decide what to make? We have an amazing meal plan that we publish weekly, every Saturday. With each plan, you’ll get ideas for 5 days of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and a treat… And, a super easy to create grocery list.
- STEAK!! If you’re looking for truly amazing high quality grass fed steak shipped right to your door, Gibson’s Restaurant Group is now offering steak boxes for purchase. Yes, they’re a little pricey, but you can honestly taste the difference, so so good. Use code SAVE15PK to save 15% on the Game Day Box.
- Here steak is served with roasted squash and sweet potatoes.
- Bridget (on the SweetPhi team) was sharing that her son loves to watch cooking shows with her and then pretend he is competing in his own cooking show – how fun! Anyway, she said they are currently watching Halloween Baking Championship and can’t wait to start watching Holiday Baking Championship when Christmastime rolls around.
- You may have seen this IG post where I shared about Gibson’s Steak Shop delivering high quality grassfed beef products sourced directly from Australia (and omg the Seasoning Salt – so so good!!) or in the above EAT section, but it’s so good I thought I’d mention it again!! Perfect for game day grilling and sharing with friends, or a gift for someone special (think a unique Christmas gift!)
- Use code SAVE15PK to save 15% on the Game Day Box!
- Hanna Anderson is having their Friends and Family sale through 10/24 with 40% off everything. You already know I’m obsessed with the Gnome Sweet Gnome jammies, but really, all their clothes are very high quality, I always recommend them.
What are your Halloween plans? Just leave a comment below and let me know, I love hearing from you!