This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I am finally feeling better and it’s amazing! Read on for some great summer recipes and a game I can’t wait to play.
There’s no sugar coating it, I’ve been kind of miserable. This pregnancy has hit me hard, and it’s made me barely have energy to do…pretty much anything.
This weekend however, I’m feeling like I (fingers AND toes crossed over here) turned a corner and it’s not as bad. It was the first consecutive days I wasn’t throwing up or in bed by 6 pm – before the twins’ bed time – unable to help with anything except the bare minimum.
“It’s like you’ve woken up from a 3 month fog and now you’re noticing all the stuff that hasn’t been done” LOL.
That’s what Nick said to me…when I actually did the dishes, and other random household stuff…and then asked him when he thought he could get our new chandelier hung (because our other one randomly exploded so it had been dark in our dining area for a few days – weeks)…and Ben’s new bed had arrived and and and, lol.
Thankfully it was a long weekend and I cannot tell you how awesome it is to feel present and a little more like me again! Also, the biggest thank you to my loving husband who has been going above and beyond keeping everything going and our kids alive; it’s the little things, lol.
We even got to go on a date night and I was up past 9pm!
Sharing the latest posts up on Sweetphi.com!
- Antipasto skewers – my new go-to for picnics and parties.
- Meal plan – our weekly post to help make your meal planning a bit easier
- Carrot ranch dip – a recipe I recreated after having it at a restaurant. It’s a great summer dip!
- Love List – weekly fun from around the web, chosen by the SweetPhi team.
- Father’s Day gift ideas – if you’re short on ideas, here are some of my favorites.
- The Vitamix I splurged on arrived and WOW! It’s incredible! We’ve been having smoothies almost every single day. It is such a great way for me to actually get some fruit and vegetables in, especially with this green smoothie that actually tastes good!
- White chocolate peanut grape bites are the perfect summer treat! Do yourself a favor and make a batch to keep in the fridge!
- This hot honey baked chicken sheet pan dinner is a great one-pan meal that everyone always loves!
- For Memorial Day my in-laws had a wonderful Serbian themed grill-out. My father-in-law made Serbian sausages (so good!) and I made tomato cucumber salad – YUM!
What to make:
This week, I’m all about strawberries and here are a few of my favorite recipes to use strawberries in:
- Strawberry mint daiquiri – only 5 ingredients!
- Strawberry sauce – you can use this in so many ways.
- Strawberries and cream icebox pie – a perfect way to cool you down in the summer months
- Strawberry orange protein smoothie – a healthy, delicious treat
- Gluten free lemon cake – topped with, you guessed it, strawberries (and more)!
Speaking of strawberries, I loved seeing this comment on my recipe for chocolate chip waffles with strawberry cream cheese sauce.
- Oh I love waffles. I have got to make your recipe. I like waffles with fresh fruit & whipping cream. There isn’t one thing on your blog I’ve made that hasn’t been fantastic!! Thank you!!
Desserts are clearly on my mind, so this re-creation for my chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream cake stuck out to me as extra tasty-looking!
I’ve heard rave reviews about these drain stoppers so I’ve added them to my list!
- I stuck it out and am almost through Shipped by Angie Hockman. It definitely gets better, but I just do not like the narrator.
- I’m cooking out of Every Day is Saturday this week – there’s a white risotto with corn, carrots and kale that is calling my name with all those summery vegetables. There’s also a raspberry ripple ice cream cake that I want to make!
- Date night – We went to Iron Horse outdoor seating area for dinner, and then to Cafe Benelux for dessert, where we had the biggest piece of cheesecake we’ve ever seen (it was delicious!)
- Zoo day – we went to the zoo – always fun – and the boys were zonked afterwards and were laying on the couch the same, too cute.
- New twin bed – I got Ben a new twin bed from Walmart. It was on sale for $100. Do not buy a bed this way if you don’t have lots of time and assistance, lol. It took Nick days to put this thing together, because there were a million parts, and he had to drill some parts that were missing. But it was super affordable and Ben loves it, lol.
- Most expensive bedding. When we were looking at bedding, Ben only wanted the construction sheets from Pottery Barn Kids, of course, lol, the most expensive sheets. I put up a little poll on IG if people thought he’d notice the difference (I found some non-organic cheap ones) and I was so surprised at how many sweet messages I got from moms saying they got their kids nice bed sheets and that their kids still had them 10 years later. So he now has fancy organic cotton bedding which better last him YEARS, lol. It’s certainly nicer than our bedding.
- This grilled corn will change the way you enjoy corn this summer, promise, it’s so good.
- We happened upon The Story of Late Night on CNN and it’s really been fascinating.
- I just got this family game called Qwixx and I can’t wait to try it out!
How was your Memorial day weekend? I’d love to know, so just leave a comment below and let me know.