This is a super tasty and easy to make one-pot meal the whole family will love. Perfect for those busy nights when you don’t feel like doing a lot of dishes, this casserole is made in only one pot and is made with sausage, bell peppers, mushrooms, and rice cooked in a tomato sauce, then topped with cheese. This casserole also re-heats really well, so it’s great for a make-ahead meal or to make and take for work lunches.
If you’re looking for the perfect dish for a cool fall day, look no further. This casserole is such a cozy meal, it fills the house with the smell of sizzling onions and garlic…it reminds me of my mom cooking and always brings a smile to my face.
This one pot sausage and rice casserole is a family favorite. Paprika was the first spice I learned how to cook with, so any dish containing paprika (like this casserole) brings up happy memories of being in the kitchen and learning to cook.
You can buy hot paprika or mild paprika. Depending on who you’re feeding (adults/kids) you can adjust the heat level accordingly.
When I was originally testing this recipe, I had made it and had some in the fridge in Tupperware containers. Nick took some for lunch and texted me in the middle of the day asking what the deliciousness he had just eaten was!
My husband, Nick is definitely the best indicator for me for if a recipe is successful and good enough to post on the blog and share with the world. If he doesn’t say much or have anything to say when I ask him about what he’s just tried, I know I’m in trouble.
And yes, there have definitely been times when he tries a recipe of mine and just doesn’t say much. When he doesn’t say much, I know it’s because he doesn’t love it and he just doesn’t want to be mean 🙂 Luckily, he had plenty to say about this dish and everything was positive – he LOVED it and requested it again!
Pick ‘n Save is the perfect place to get all of the ingredients for family meals. They keep their prices low, even on organic products, which is one of the many reasons I love shopping there. I can make a complete grocery list for the week and not break the bank buying everything for a whole lot of healthy meals!
To get this dish from ingredients to warm comforting meal in no time, you just need to follow a few easy steps:
- Saute onions and peppers
- Add garlic and paprika
- Stir mushrooms and Italian sausage
- Stir in dry rice, tomato juice salt and pepper
- Cover and boil
- Cook for 35-45 minutes
- Remove lid, sprinkle cheese on top and enjoy warm!
Enjoy your meal, put the kids to bed and then enjoy a glass of wine since you didn’t spend all night doing dishes!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Freezer Meal: Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Instant Pot Sausage Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
One Pot Sausage and Rice Casserole
- 2 tablespoons Simple Truth Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Simple Truth paprika
- 1 8 oz. package Simple Truth mushrooms (white or Baby Bella mushrooms), washed and sliced
- 1 pound 16 oz. uncooked Italian sausage from the Pick ‘n Save meat department (can use links, cut into slices or ground sausage)
- 2 cups Kroger dry long grain white rice
- 4 2/3 cups tomato juice or vegetable juice
- 1 cup Roundy’s cheddar cheese shredded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot with a lid, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion and bell pepper for 2 minutes.
- Add in garlic clove and paprika and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in mushrooms and Italian sausage and cook for 5 minutes, until almost no more pink is visible in the sausage and the sausage is almost cooked through (it will finish cooking with the rice and sauce).
- Stir in the dry rice, tomato juice, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (I usually add in about ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper).
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil, stir, then return the lid to the pot and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 35-45 minutes, until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid and is cooked through. Remove lid stir, and sprinkle cheese on top. Serve warm and enjoy.
This post is brought to you by my partnership with Pick ‘n Save, as always, all opinions are mine alone. Thank you for supporting the brands that make the SweetPhi blog possible. For more inspiration from Pick ‘n Save, be sure to follow their Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest accounts.